UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2020, 9:20 pm   #21
buggies
Heptode

Default Re: Cutting hole in 1/8" ali panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky67 View Post
Thanks all.

It's an illuminated rocker switch going in the panel. I did consider a toggle switch but decided on the former for aesthetic reasons. Hmmm....

Martin
This type just needs a round hole (example ebay listing only)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROUND-Roc...D/264063586906
Old 12th Jun 2020, 5:30 am   #22
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Fettling ali can be a pain, clogs small drills and files but I routinely do holes with the method David used without a vice, a drill and file is all you need, doesn't take long. A coarse file helps, the type they use for finishing horse shoes.

The problem with dremel type drills with cutting disks is that it's hard to start the cut and then maintain the cut without breaking the disk or it skipping and then ruining your finish. The little grinding bits get clogged and if your not careful bite into the ali.

It's well known that aluminium is Northumbrian cheese made on a grey cloudy winters day, the cheese goes grey as a result, they then roll it into sheets.

Andy.
Old 12th Jun 2020, 10:47 am   #23
vinrads
Dekatron

Try these for cutting aluminium. Bought off Ebay note the wide cutting edge not just a saw edge more like a chisel ,I was very impressed with the results a squirt of WD helped. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0014 (1).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	208308  
Old 12th Jun 2020, 4:23 pm   #24
IanG3XYV
Pentode

As a born and bred Northumbrian I can confirm that what Andy says is true ;-)
Old 12th Jun 2020, 10:19 pm   #25
g4wim_tim
Pentode

Like others have said - mark it out with a very fine line then chain drill and file.

My instructor always said aim to split the scribed line - works every time and the more often you do it the easier / better it gets.

I actually find doing a 'good job' of the metal work by hand strangely satisfying !

That said I do have a good selection of Q max cutters for more popular standard sizes.

Thinking about getting a small desk top CNC for front panel engraving jobs.