UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2019, 6:05 pm   #81
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Conquest Auto

You can self-tap the slightly larger screw into the top of the plastic cartridge moulding if you need to. The aluminium spacer fits between the cartridge mounting clip and the tone arm head - but it might be that you don't need it. Also remember that your BSR X5M is lighter than the original cartridge so you must re-balance the tone arm to 5 grams.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 10:36 pm   #82
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Edward - extremely helpful.
Old 16th Jan 2020, 1:57 pm   #83
DonaldStott
Octode

This Dansette Conquest Auto was put on hold over the Christmas and New Year period and I have just returned to the refurbishment this week.

Taking Edward's advice above I self-tapped a 6 B.A. screw thread into the top of the plastic cartridge clip moulding - worked a treat! Cartridge mounting clip and replacement BSR X5M cartridge now firmly attached.

Worked my way through the excellent sticky thread by Darren-UK "Reviving your old record player" with special attention being paid to the BSR autochanger mechanicals. Everything was cleaned and de-greased and all was working very well apart from one small detail - when the tonearm returns to its rest position after playing a record (either 33 or 45) the deck does not shut down i.e. the Reject Knob Escutcheon (!) does not move to the OFF position and remains at the MAN position.

Not a great hardship in the grand scheme of things but I'd like to get this sorted. I note that Darren-UK's thread mentions in Post #5 Point 12 that this is due to "Below-deck mechanism fouling, jammed or restricted by hardened grease." I cannot, however, find any hardened grease in this part of the mechanism?

If someone could point me in the direction of exactly where to look that would be extremely helpful or is there anything else that could be causing this behaviour?

NOTE : Is it just me or do these BSR autochanger mechanicals look as if someone has just emptied out a bag of Mecanno parts and randomly linked them together using a variety of arms, linkages, plates, springs and circlips??
Old 16th Jan 2020, 8:40 pm   #84
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The fact that the player is not fully shutting off is a common enough problem on these BSRs and is in part due to insufficient torque to actuate the linkage/s. It's not a serious issue as you can switch the player fully off manually, but it's essential to do this to ensure that the idler is retracted. Whatever you think of the BSR's mechanics, over the years these have been proven to have been more reliable than the "superior" (and more expensive) Garrards and Collaros!
Old 17th Jan 2020, 6:20 pm   #85
DonaldStott
Octode

I just threw caution to the wind and decided to "up the ante" in the cleaning and de-greasing department by applying some PMA Brake and Clutch Cleaner to the suspect linkages. Good stuff, evaporates quickly and leaves no residue - use outside or in a very well ventilated environment!

Seemed to work a treat and when the tonearm returns to its rest position after playing a record (either 33 or 45) the deck now shuts down i.e. moves to the OFF position.

Now that's sorted it only leaves connecting a new mains lead, the external case cosmetics, the brass-work and the ubiquitous Dansette hum ...!

Just out of interest, how would I know if it was the reservoir and smoothing capacitors that were "humming" without replacing them??
Old 17th Jan 2020, 11:56 pm   #86
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Why do you think you need to replace the mains lead?
If so, what will you "replace" it with?
Well serviced, there is very little residual mains hum on most Dansettes.
Those that say it is "ubiquitous" - just have a malfunctioning player.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 12:00 pm   #87
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Those that say it is "ubiquitous" - just have a malfunctioning player.
I'll have to disagree with that statement Edward. In my experience Dansette and similar record players always hummed, even from new. You just got used to it, knowing that the sound of a record playing would drown out the hum.

Perhaps people with little or no experience of using record players, when they were current technology, are expecting too much and expect similar performance to that of modern music players.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 6:47 pm   #88
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Why do you think you need to replace the mains lead?
If so, what will you "replace" it with?
The existing 3-core mains lead is split and damaged in several places - the internal wires can be seen although none of the copper is showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Perhaps people with little or no experience of using record players, when they were current technology, are expecting too much and expect similar performance to that of modern music players.
I recognise the attributes you allude to but, with respect, they are not applicable in my case.

My initiation into the world of Dansettes happened in 1962 and I can still remember the thrill of acquiring my first 45 RPM single - "Telstar" by the Tornados!

Last edited by DonaldStott; 18th Jan 2020 at 7:11 pm.
Old 25th Jan 2020, 5:51 pm   #89
DonaldStott
Octode

Before I undertake the final clean and assembly, just wondering if there was any value (not monetary) in comparing the replacement BSR X5M cartridge with one of those cheapo Chinese offerings or something like this: -

PA5 Store

No great financial outlay but are we just chasing unicorns ...!
Old 26th Jan 2020, 11:17 am   #90
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I think these are outstanding value for money. Hopefully the output from this will be adequate for the Dansette's amplfier, although it will be lower than the 400mV you will get from a BSR X5M. The main issue you will have is fabricating a cartridge mount that will be rigid enough and that will allow groove tracking at the correct angle. Don't be tempted to use Bluetak - it will not hold in the heat generated via by the deck plate.
Old 26th Jan 2020, 12:31 pm   #91
david freeman
Hexode

Hi
Actually, Edward is quite correct.
Dansettes had a residual hum level that was no worse than any other valve record player in their particular price range.
Back in the 1960s, I had several record players, all of which exhibited a degree of residual hum, none of it audible when playing a record even at low volume.

Regards
David
Old 26th Jan 2020, 1:17 pm   #92
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
I think these are outstanding value for money. Hopefully the output from this will be adequate for the Dansette's amplifier, although it will be lower than the 400mV you will get from a BSR X5M. The main issue you will have is fabricating a cartridge mount that will be rigid enough and that will allow groove tracking at the correct angle.
Thanks Edward

For the PA5 Store cartridge I just spotted this: -

Output voltage: (at 1K Hz=3.54cm/sec) = 250 mV

Maybe far too low for the Dansette's amplifier?

Any other cheapo Chinese offerings that are recommended??
Old 26th Jan 2020, 2:25 pm   #93
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

No, 250mV will be just fine for the ECL82 valved amplifier in your Dansette. Why not get one and give it a whirl?
Old 28th Jan 2020, 5:50 pm   #94
DonaldStott
Octode

Just a quick question about Dansette knobs - these are the knobs for the Bass, Treble and Volume/On-Off switch from my Conquest Auto: -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dansette_knobs.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	197921

Now my question relates to how these have been finished - are they just tarnished brass that need a good clean or has some lacquer/coating been applied?

Don't want to be too aggressive with my cleaning until I know what I'm dealing with!
Old 29th Jan 2020, 9:07 am   #95
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

These do tarnish very badly. Try using an aggressive cleaner like Cif.
Old 29th Jan 2020, 10:57 am   #96
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks again Edward - Cif and an old toothbrush worked miracles on cleaning up the covering on the case.

Used foam cleanser after that to clean up any Cif residue.
Old 30th Jan 2020, 9:49 pm   #97
DonaldStott
Octode

Just been looking back over this Thread to ensure I've implemented everything I need to taking into account all the helpful guidance and assistance on offer.

By chance I had another look at that big electrolytic triple can and wondered if I should replace it? Indeed I looked carefully at the wiring on the can expecting to see the following - C5 (32μF), C6 (25μF) and C7 (32μF) - but what I have is this: -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Conquest_Can.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	198054

I'm reading the following: -

RED RES 10μF 300v
MAX RIPPLE 250MA
YELLOW 32μF 300v
GREEN 25μF 25v

From the circuit diagram (and all other Threads I have read) I was expecting: -

RED RES 32μF 300v

Is there any significance to this as I was intending to replace the can with a dual 32μF 500V can and attach a 25μF 25V cap under the board??
Old 30th Jan 2020, 11:20 pm   #98
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I'd be inclined to do as you suggest. The reservoir capacitor will almost certainly have been 32uf, and, with respect, I think you are misreading its value due to the printing being less clear than when the player was new.
Old 31st Jan 2020, 12:49 pm   #99
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
... with respect, I think you are misreading it's value due to the printing being less clear than when the player was new.
Agreed - as I'm going to replace the big electrolytic triple can I'll be able to investigate further once it's off the board.

Meantime, any issues with me replacing the existing 25μF 25v with a 22μF 25v electrolytic - I know that in general it should be equal to or higher than the original??
Old 31st Jan 2020, 12:57 pm   #100
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
Meantime, any issues with me replacing the existing 25μF 25v with a 22μF 25v electrolytic
None to be concerned about.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread