UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2008, 1:47 pm   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Bakelite: Don't Be Afraid of 'Nitromors...'

I'm sticking this in this section because to me, it's a success story. It would be equally at home in 'Vintage Telephony' or 'Hints, Tips and Solutions'.

I was at the council recycling centre yesterday, and was just dumping an old bike in the skip when I happened to spot, in a temptingly easily-reachable position, a No: 59A bell, covered in about forty years of magnolia emulsion paint but otherwise intact. Safe in the knowledge that EDC don't employ a 'Vintage and Antiques' monitor, I, er, 'swapped' the bell for a couple of old bicycle frames.

Anyway, the point of this post is this: With nothing to lose, I doused the case in 'Nitromors', doused and worked it in with a stiff brush again after five minutes, then washed it with more 'Nitromors' after twenty minutes.

I then soaked the case in a sinkful of warm, soapy water, removing all the residual goo with a 'Scotchbrite' pad. I was left with a dull, very matte-finish bakelite cover, but completely free of paint.

Twice over with 'T-Cut' and lots of elbow-grease, working it in section by section: the 'bow-tie' shape, the remainder of the top, the sides... It came up lovely, but I'd seen shinier. A couple of similar goings-over with 'Autoglym' resin car polish later, the result is as shown in the pic. Don't be afraid of using 'Nitromors' on bakelite. It worked with me.

Just a case now of where to mount it! I guess the unit is 1950's, but I take it from the stamp underneath: '59A FWR 65' it was refurbished in 1965.

Maybe the Council should employ a 'Collectables and Antiques' officer! - Nice little retirement job...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bell_59A.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	20178  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 28th Sep 2008, 2:05 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Bakelite: Don't Be Afraid of 'Nitromors...'

I can confirm that bakelite survives Nitromors quite well, at least in my experience.

Paul
Old 28th Sep 2008, 5:48 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I can confirm that bakelite survives Nitromors quite well, at least in my experience
I can also report similar excellent results when using 'Nitromors' type paint remover on bakelite. In several instances of using it now, it has always safely removed the paint finish and the bakelite has cleaned up beautifully afterwards. Providing you don't leave it on the bakelite longer than necessary, in others words just long enough to see the paint lifting or bubbling, then there is little to worry about. Except of course keeping it off of your skin, pretty harsh stuff!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 28th Sep 2008, 7:58 pm   #4
Aerodyne
Octode

I'll endorse what's been said, too. I've used Nitromors and other chemical strippers many times and never yet found and Bakelite damage. Tough stuff, Phenol Formaldehyde.
-Tony
Old 28th Sep 2008, 9:17 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Bakelite: Don't Be Afraid of 'Nitromors...'

Strange co-incidence! Only very recently, I had to use same chemical to clean up the case of a Ferranti 146; worked fine.

Al / Skywave
Old 29th Sep 2008, 1:40 pm   #6
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I found one of those wired in the bedroom in this house when i moved in . It cleaned up with N and was very shiny . Its now attatched to a pyramid phone and is working . I have my eye on another above the front door of a house being restored along the road !
Old 29th Sep 2008, 1:54 pm   #7
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Bakelite: Don't Be Afraid of 'Nitromors...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
dumping an old bike in the skip.
But why where these not restored instead of being 'recycled' cycles.
Old 29th Sep 2008, 2:00 pm   #8
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofy View Post
But why where these not restored instead of being 'recycled' cycles.
Veering wildly O/T, It did cross my mind to do something with them, but I didn't consider them worth the effort. One was a pile of rusty old tat, the other was my 'old faithful' that was beyond economic repair. I salvaged the 'Brooks' leather saddle and the 'Ever Ready' mechanical bicycle bell.

I really ought to use 'Freecycle'. They might have gone to a better home, but I was feeling ruthless - Grrrrrr!

Someone better get back on-topic, quickly!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 29th Sep 2008, 2:04 pm   #9
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Bakelite: Don't Be Afraid of 'Nitromors...'

Apologies for veering ot, but I am not to sure just what the No: 59A bell is used for, is it a phone repeater.

Geof
Old 29th Sep 2008, 2:23 pm   #10
newlite4
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofy View Post
Apologies for veering ot, but I am not to sure just what the No: 59A bell is used for, is it a phone repeater?
The 59A bellset is designed to fit neatly under a 200 series pyramid phone (these have no internal bell) or can be mounted onto a wall nearby.
Neil
Old 29th Sep 2008, 3:09 pm   #11
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4 View Post
The 59A bellset is designed to fit neatly under a 200 series pyramid phone (these have no internal bell) or can be mounted onto a wall nearby.
Neil
Strictly speaking, the 59A is a 'bell', rather than a bellset. A 'Bellset' contains the capacitor and induction coil. Granted, it is identical in appearance to Bellset No: 26.

Some 'pyramid' telephones contained a bell, but I know the type you mean.

I guess by the thick layers of mongolia-coloured paint, the item I successfully cleaned up was mounted on a wall!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 29th Sep 2008, 3:46 pm   #12
Station X

OK. We've established that Nitromors is good for removing paint from Bakelite and doesn't harm the material.

Thread closed.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread