UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2018, 12:53 am   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default GEC Transistor Seven

This radio, which dates from around 1963, was bought untested and I was pleased to find that everything worked once a 9v battery had been fitted. The intention was to remove the circuit board, give the cabinet a thorough clean and polish the metal trim parts. Unfortunately the tuning control was firmly stuck and looked like it had been broken in the past and then glued. The radio was cleaned with everything in situ and after about an hour's work looked quite presentable, apart from the missing centre discs on the Volume and Tuning controls. I found an Ebay seller offering reproduction brass effect centres for the Dansette Tempo record player, under £3 for a pair including postage. On arrival it was obvious they were much too large for the GEC. However I carefully cut them down to approximately the right size using household scissors (the metal is thin) then filed them for an exact fit, sticking on with impact adhesive.

I love the nostalgic retro looks of this little radio and it's a pleasure to listen to AM stations without the usual mains borne interference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC Transistor 7 #1.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	172953   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC Transistor 7 #2.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	172954   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC Transistor 7 #3.jpg
Views:	1514
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	172955  
Old 17th Nov 2018, 3:28 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC Transistor Seven

All GEC semiconductors too, makes a change from the ubiquitous Mullards, good as they are.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 4:10 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

My mum and twin sister had these as 21st birthday presents off a rich great aunt who was known for her lavish gifts. They would've been a serious present, they turned 21 in 1962. I still have my mums, a pinky red one, never been repaired, still good as new.
It was the radio my mum left on to deter burglars when we out of the house 'til late throughout the 70's.

Old 17th Nov 2018, 4:28 pm   #4
Reelman
Octode

Well done Martin!
I’ve never seen one of these that retains the original brights!
I do believe there was a similar battery valve set by GEC.
Peter
Old 17th Nov 2018, 4:42 pm   #5

Very good sets, here is mine https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=104931 yours is a lot cleaner mine must have smoked 60 a day!

Quote:
Your lucky day, mine has. A useful reference for making new ones.

Old 17th Nov 2018, 5:35 pm   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
I do believe there was a similar battery valve set by GEC.
There was a slightly earlier six transistor version, deeper control knobs and minus the "Seven" badge. No very precise valved lookalike, but the slightly larger BC1255 was a valve portable of similar shape with the same "oatmeal" Vynair, though a different arrangement of controls:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/gec_bc1255.html

Almost sixty years on the early GEC transistor sets are probably impossible to beat for reliability.

Paul
Old 17th Nov 2018, 5:42 pm   #7
martin.m
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Very good sets, here is mine https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=104931 yours is a lot cleaner mine must have smoked 60 a day!

Quote:
Your lucky day, mine has. A useful reference for making new ones.
I see the original centre discs are concave. I fitted mine the other way round. Those GEC transistors look great. How do they get away without any heatsinks on the output pair?
Old 17th Nov 2018, 6:07 pm   #8
oobovril
Triode

There were two models the BC502 and the BC505. The model 502 was called the Transistor and the 505 the Transistor Seven. I have one of each, as like others here I remember having one of these when a kid but just can't remember the actual model we had at that time. They do play well and don't really look all that dated especially when you think that the first, the 502, came out around 1961 followed by the 505 in 1962/63.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 6:31 pm   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobovril View Post
They do play well and don't really look all that dated especially when you think that the first, the 502, came out around 1961 followed by the 505 in 1962/63.
I think they were a bit earlier than that. Jonathan Hill (Radio! Radio!) gives September 1959 as the release date for the BC502 (a "slightly modified" version of the BC501, which I can't recall ever meeting) and October '61 for the BC505. The only previous GEC transistor set had been the August '57 BC1650, but the one I have is the only one I've seen in 50 years of looking.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...11&postcount=7
Old 17th Nov 2018, 9:01 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.m View Post
Those GEC transistors look great. How do they get away without any heatsinks on the output pair?
The output is probably only a couple of hundred milliwatts so the near class B output devices are unlikely to be dissipating more than 100mW between them.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Nov 2018, 1:48 am   #11
oobovril
Triode

Paul, 1961 for the BC505 will be right as they ran this model up until 1962.
Closed Thread