UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2018, 11:21 am   #1
jacob65
Tetrode

Default Garrard AT6 motor

Hi,

I just found this nice suitcase Garrard record player with one of my favorite record players, The Garrard AT6 in good condition. Amp works fine with good clean signal from cartridge. Only problem the motor didnt turn on, so cleaned and relubricated, all mechanics working fine. So decided to open the motor and found this, a wire had broke. Now I have plenty experience with standard maintenance of these types of decks and motors, but never seen this before. Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	172894  
Old 16th Nov 2018, 11:38 am   #2
jacob65
Tetrode

Default Re: Garrard AT6 motor

I would be willing to send this to someone who could get this motor working again, to good a unit to just put aside.
Old 16th Nov 2018, 11:51 am   #3
PsychMan
Octode

Its not clear to me what's broken from the picture, is there a not a way to solder it back on? perhaps remove some of the plastic to expose enough to solder to?
Old 16th Nov 2018, 12:22 pm   #4
jacob65
Tetrode

The small hole in the plastic where the thin wire goes through doesn't lead to the coil, as you can see in the picture, so I guess the wire needs to get under the tape around the coil, but again no experience in this. Here another picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0804.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	172897  
Old 16th Nov 2018, 12:47 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Yes, it looks like the motor winding wire has broken off just inside what looks to be the outer end of the coil. You may be able to peel (break) off some of the outer covering of the winding to find the broken end and resolder the yellow wire on there. Support the join afterwards by whatever means you can!

Otherwise it's likely that one of the TX men on here could rewind it, though for an AT6 it shouldn't be too difficult to source a replacement motor or even the whole deck for a reasonable cost.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 16th Nov 2018, 1:10 pm   #6
jacob65
Tetrode

Yeah, I tried, but not sure what I am doing, and dont want to take chances with this. But if anyone could fix this, I would be willing to send the motor.
Old 16th Nov 2018, 10:07 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Jacob, some of this type of motor were used as autotransformers to supply a low voltage for valve heaters (about 90V) or 24v for power rails on transistor amps.

I'm not clear if it is this wire that has broken on your motor or one of the "end" leads.

If you can post a picture showing the motor in detail I'll see if I have one, much cheaper than a rewind as some of these motors need a press to get them apart.

Ed
Old 16th Nov 2018, 11:47 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

In my recollection, the Garrard "laboratory series" AT6 motor (as with the SP25) was never used in a situation where it needed to supply a 90V (white lead) heater tap.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 8:56 am   #9
jacob65
Tetrode

Thanks! Here better pictures of the motor. I have disassembled it, and will be searching for a new motor. Hope to find it, the Garrard AT6 being a favorite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0814.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	172963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	172964  
Old 17th Nov 2018, 8:02 pm   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Jacob, thanks for the pictures, unfortunately I don't have any motors like that in my spares box.

Ed
Old 1st Dec 2018, 11:19 am   #11
jacob65
Tetrode

Ok, I got the new motor, everything runs fine!

Now during this, one wire came off inside, and I cant see where it should be connected. Here are a few pictures of the unit. By the way, amp turns on, low buzz in speaker, and record player works, only no signal from cartridge.

On the pictures you see, the speaker output on top, a stereo speaker output section on the back, and pictures from inside with 2 wires unattached, one from the tonearm wire clip on record player and the other from the black box in the amp section. Let me know what you think or if you want better pictures, havent got a diagram unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	173731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	173732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0822.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	173733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0838.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	173736  

Last edited by jacob65; 1st Dec 2018 at 11:30 am.
Old 1st Dec 2018, 12:37 pm   #12
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

If the single white wire coming from the top center of picture #4 is connected at the other end to the mains transformer it is almost certainly the 90v AC Tap to supply the valve heaters, in which case it will connect to a point which goes to either pin 4 or pin 5 of one of the valves. As this player uses a selenium rectifier (the small silver device screwed to the chassis to the right of the large cylindrical capacitor in picture #3), the 90v tap will not be used, and the end of the white wire should be insulated, then secured away from metalwork or other components. I cannot emphasize strongly enough the need to carefully check before reconnecting, from where this wire originates. The other (screened) wire is most likely the connection between the tagboard on the deck underside to the amplifier's input, without which there will be no sound from the pickup. Not sure what the 'black box' is, though. Your best bet would be to purchase for £1.99, the service data from the VRSD link at the top of the page, and study it carefully before working on the amplifier.
Old 1st Dec 2018, 1:00 pm   #13
jacob65
Tetrode

Hi livewire, the wire coming from the tonearm needs to be connected on the left pin of the round stereo output connector. I assume the ground wire from this cable will be attached to the middle pin. That leaves us with the wire coming from the black box at the amp section.

If anyone knows this model or can post a diagram or link it would be great. This is the actual unit. I TAKE CAREAFUL CAUTION, thanks! Better picture also of the "black box".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0834.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	173742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0839.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	173743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	173744  

Last edited by jacob65; 1st Dec 2018 at 1:12 pm.
Old 1st Dec 2018, 2:07 pm   #14
jacob65
Tetrode

Here a better overview picture. I was thinking maybe the loose wire should be connected to the other channel of the tonearm cable assembly on the turntable or somehow to the round stereo speaker output.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	173755  

Last edited by jacob65; 1st Dec 2018 at 2:13 pm.
Old 1st Dec 2018, 3:16 pm   #15
jacob65
Tetrode

Ok, I attached it to the tonearm cable assembly, and it worked! So, will leave it like this.
Closed Thread