UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2018, 4:48 pm   #1
Petes BxB
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush DAC90A-Dim Panel Bulbs

Hello
My current project is the Bush DAC90A and the set appears completely original and is working fine with its all original components. But the only obvious problem are the very very dim original panel bulbs.I have the
Bush service data sheet ,so changed both the bulbs for new 3.5v and also
changed the shunt resistor -R16-to 250 ohms@7W as per the data sheet.

This worked ok bulbs much brighter...my concern is that the R16 original that I removed tested about 70/80ohms...so is it satisfactory to leave the
250 ohm in circuit? ---Or could it create another problem?
Thanks Pete
Old 6th Jan 2018, 5:28 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush DAC90A-Dim Panel Bulbs

So far as I know, 250 ohms was the original value of the shunt resistor but it was later changed to 75 ohms to help give the bulbs a longer life.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Jan 2018, 6:09 pm   #3
Station X

Lots of threads on this subject. The lamps in a DCA90A are certainly dim.

Trader sheet gives the resistor value as 75R. Manufacturers sheet says 150R.

The OP won't have been the first to have changed this resistor thinking it was the wrong value.

Which is the correct value I don't know. I left my set as it was with a 75R resistor.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Jan 2018, 2:57 am   #4
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Dim as a TocH lamp with 75 ohms, and 3.5V 0.15A bulbs are almost unobtainable now.
0.2A work with 250 ohm resistor but not well. Effect on heater current is minimal.
The models with dark dial glasses as opposed to the cream ones are the most problematical to light satisfactorily.
I have resorted to LED lamps now. ( Ducks and runs away from the incoming flack ) There is a thread on here about using an illuminating panel instead of bulbs.
Old 7th Jan 2018, 10:38 am   #5
DangerMan
Heptode

I believe Bush reduced the resistor value to 75 ohms in order to take account of possible lamp failure... the voltage drop will be smaller with the 75 ohms resistor than it would previously have been with 150ohms, but the bulbs will be dimmer when working.
There's also the surge to consider, if a set is switched off and quickly back on while the cathodes are still hot. It's possible there was more than acceptable lamp failure under these conditions.

I have always found that some 3.5V 0.15A lamps are brighter than others in these sets, and some surviving old ones are really quite bright enough.
Old 7th Jan 2018, 11:04 am   #6
AD360 Rob
Hexode

I have found that changing the shunt resistor from 75 ohms to a value of 150 - 180 ohms gives more than adequate brightness with either the original 0.15A 3.5V lamps or the more easily obtainable 0.2A 3.5V lamps. Also that value seems to be sufficient to limit the hot switch on current surge. Some of the modern LED lamps will give a traditional glow if you pick the right colour . Personally I'm happy with the original set up as the dial lamp really only needs to be bright enough to see the scale at night or in a darkened room.
Old 7th Jan 2018, 11:12 am   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I find that the real current rating of the modern bulbs whether 0.15 or 0.2 or 0.3 A is very variable. I often have to find matched pairs to give even illumination in sets with multiple bulbs.
There seems to be a poor standard of manufacture, not uncommon these days unfortunately.

Last edited by Boater Sam; 7th Jan 2018 at 11:15 am. Reason: Correct figure
Old 7th Jan 2018, 2:54 pm   #8

Quote:
There is a thread on here about using an illuminating panel instead of bulbs.
One of mine, here... https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=129025

Old 8th Jan 2018, 1:52 pm   #9
mark2collection
Hexode

The sets I've worked on in the past, required a good dose of foaming cleanser to the reflector plate & diffuser panel, as these were covered in a layer of thick dust, then grime under the dust. I have had a set where the lamps were working, but owing to the grime no light was visible Truly grubby ...

Cleaning brought the illumination up to useable levels.

Only one set (which fought me all the way) required a new coat of paint to the reflector plate, owing to bad corrosion.

Trouble is, we're getting used to LED back lighting on various gadgets, which in some cases, are sunlight readable.

That said, I like the idea
Old 8th Jan 2018, 2:30 pm   #10
PsychMan
Octode

I replaced mine with a 250 ohm and made use of easier to get bulbs, results are good enough for me and no issues since making the change.

I believe originally the dial lamps were never the brightest. There's lots of threads on here around modding these sets with brighter dial lamps, each to their own.
Old 8th Jan 2018, 3:49 pm   #11
smeerkat
Triode

Hi,

There was a thread on this forum a while ago, which detailed the use of a small 12V transformer (purloined from an old "wall-wart") to power two 6.3V, 0.3A bulbs in series. I gather the only problem with this method is finding a place on the chassis to fix the transformer.

Like other posters here, I used 3.5V, 0.2A bulbs with the a new 250 ohm shunt, and have had no troubles. The resultant dial light is bright enough to be usable, but not so bright that it spoils the radio's characteristic "glow" when switched on!

Regards, David
Old 8th Jan 2018, 4:31 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In the past I've successfully replaced filament-bulb dial-lights with the LEDs salvaged from dead GU10 LED 'bulbs' (appropriate series/parallel resistors being added). Since these come in different colour-temperatures you can choose between a gloomy dim yellow [to replicate those years of dust soot and nicotine buildup you found on the original failed bulb], or a nice 6500K midday-at-midsummer bright white.
The only real downside to this is that a typical LED has a rather narrow beam-angle so tends to produce a spot of light rather than a diffuse glow. The answer: more LEDs! I should post a pic of my six-LEDs-fitted-to-both-sides-of-a-strip-of-Veroboard-and-fitted-into-a-MES-bulb-base dial-light-converter.
Old 8th Jan 2018, 8:34 pm   #13
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, I produced an auto transformer for use with these sets and it had a 6.3v tap, so it was possible to feed the bulbs directly (remove shunt resistors) and stabilise their brightness.
The main purpose of the exercise was to do away with the dropper and the danger of cracked cabinets on cream sets.

It worked well for both purposes

Ed
Old 10th Jan 2018, 5:11 pm   #14
Petes BxB
Retired Dormant Member

Gents,
Thank you for your comments and the various suggestions for the "bright Lights".
As I have the new bulbs and R250 for now I will go with this as its at least
a reasonable result and better than the original.

My only other areas of concern are re- 2 pin male mains connector(I don't have the 'female' lead) and also there is no internal fuse,so I'll read a few of the existing threads as a way forward.

Pete
Old 12th Jan 2018, 11:54 pm   #15
murphy512
Pentode

I have used LED and so far it has worked well.

I have cut off the glass from the blown bulbs and soldered a diode and LED (mellow white) on the base of the old bulb.

No modification to the circuit, so normal bulbs could be used again if needed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6532.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	155390   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6536.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	155391  
Old 13th Jan 2018, 12:37 pm   #16
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

The result looks good. I assume that the pair of LEDs are in antiparallel.
With a 100mA source and the LED running for half the time, would 50mA equivalent be a bit much. Perhaps a shunt resistor across the LEDs would ease the duty somewhat.
Closed Thread