UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2020, 7:10 am   #21
3pinplug
Pentode

Default Any Marconi TF995 A RF Signal Generator Owners Help - Part II?

Hi all

Back in Nov 2018 I asked for some help with obtaining a connector to fit a mains lead to my marconi TF995 Signal generator, received some great help on here and a member very kindly sent me one.
Well after thinking about doing it, you know how it is - I find a year and a half has passed. So today I got into gear and disconnected the connector very kindly supplied by following the instructions I received on here and got it apart thus far (as shown in pics). I am now stuck!!!, the problem I have is the 3 pins on the male part of the power lead are not orientated in the same position as the chassis socket, so I can't plug it in. There are the 3 alignment grooves on the outside of the plug (two double grooves and on single wide gropve but as it is at present it simply does not line up.

Now I have this aparat please can I ask how I rotate the black plastic part of the plug to enable it to line up with the chassis socket and enable a connection? I thought i would ask first as this is all i have and I don't want to risk damaging anything!

Here's some pics of the connector disassembly so far and the chassis socket i am trying to get it to fit.

Thanks

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pin1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	204911   Click image for larger version

Name:	pin2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	204912   Click image for larger version

Name:	pin3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	204913  
Old 5th May 2020, 9:12 am   #22
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Any Marconi TF995 A RF Signal Generator Owners Help?

My posting on this subject this morning appears to have vanished.

Here is a photo of the tool I made by filing a scrap bit of 22mm copper pipe.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plessey-Mk4-spanner_web.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	204918  
Old 5th May 2020, 9:43 am   #23
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan View Post
My posting on this subject this morning appears to have vanished.
No posts have been deleted from either of the two merged threads.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th May 2020, 9:52 am   #24
ronbryan
Octode

My posting vanished while I was trying to update it by uploading the photo of the tool, which took me a while to prepare. This update was prevented by the normal 30 minute timeout. When I returned to the thread, which had been moved by then, my posting was gone.

Ron
Old 5th May 2020, 9:54 am   #25
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Nice tool Ron. I must admit, I have always got away with using long nose pliers small enough to fit the slots.
Mark, the black plastic insert can fit in different locations, as you found out. It is held in place by a very thin threaded disc insert that has 4 slots that Ron's home made tool will fit. It needs unscrewing and then you can push the black connector part out ( towards where the cable enters) and then reinsert into your required position. Sometimes they can be very tight to remove. I use the rounded handle end of a screwdriver of similar size as a "punch" to push it out if need be.
Always worked for me, provided the plug is not corroded in which case it will be very difficult or even impossible to dismantle.
When reassembling, you must ensure the correct orientation to match your TF995 and especially that the pins go to the correct connection. Check earth is actually earth!
Someone may have a pdf of the original Plessey instructions with exploded diagram. That would be a great help.
Rob
Old 5th May 2020, 10:11 am   #26
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan View Post
My posting vanished while I was trying to update it by uploading the photo of the tool, which took me a while to prepare. This update was prevented by the normal 30 minute timeout. When I returned to the thread, which had been moved by then, my posting was gone.

Ron
As Graham says, there is no record of any posts being deleted, and merging threads (as we did here) works fine. It is always possible that some random gremlin affected it though... we will never know!

Anyway there was no intention to delete your post, and I'm sorry for its unexplained disappearance. Please repost as necessary.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th May 2020, 3:37 pm   #27
3pinplug
Pentode

Hi all
Disaster ! Whilst trying to undo the inner locking ring i looked down and noted part the plastic that gies round one of the pins had snapped off, oh joy connectir now US!
Well supose i have to look at changing the plug on front to another type, the existing one has a box on the back with small red / black wires coming out back, Asci cant power mine up anyone lnow what voltage is on the end of this box i. E is it still main?
Thanks for all your help but run aground!
Closed Thread