UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2017, 6:57 am   #1
regentone001
Heptode

Default Regentone Ten-17

Hi
I picked up this set on Monday. It had a thin layer of dust and cobwebs which , as is often said on here,reassuring. I vac'd out the cobwebs,being arachnaphobic that is a must, and then with a pastry brush cleaned out the dust. The circuit board was in extremely good condition,better than either the 17-18 or Ten-6 FM that I have and showed no signs of repair. I also noticed that the printing on the dropper was still readable,which says to me that the set hadn't seen much use. I started replacing the waxies and Hunts and forunately had all that I needed. I decided then to try it, no incandecent light bulbs so had to give it full mains with the chassis on its side so that I coud get to the smoothing caps. The heaters lit and after a short time a loud rushingt wind sound from the speaker a few seconds later and a healthy line whistle the tube lit up full scan. Turn off feel the smoother no signs of getting hot. Go Grab the signal converter plug it into the aeriel socket turn on healthy sound and,after adjusting the line and frame hold controls a very nice test card C. But slight lack of width and height. Then remember to disconnect the focus control, plenty of height and width. The tube is like new I have never seen such a bright clear picture with the the grating clearly visible on all the frequencies from 1.0 to 3mcs. I let it run for a short time then switch off to try the heat of the smoother and still cold not even getting warm. I do this over the course of the afternoon allowing it to remain on for longer periods each time. Then fizzle then line whistle dies and whisps of smoke from the lopt. Not able to see precisely where from with the screen can on so whip it off switch on and watch with finger on the off switch. The smoke is coming from the EY86 heater winding. Damn n blast as they say so I change the lopt for the one from the Ten-6 and it works perfectly again. So questions what would cause the heater winding to overheat? Would the lopt be repairable? Is there any other way to check that it still works ie remove the heater winding and power it up?
Thanks Steve
ps I will put some photos on of the picture when I get some taken
Old 7th Jun 2017, 7:18 am   #2
raditechman
Heptode

Default Re: Regentone Ten-17

Often had to replace the EHT valve rectifier heater windings back in the rental TV days. Normally it is just the insulation on the winding broken down. You may be lucky and find no other damage to the transformer.

John
Old 7th Jun 2017, 7:58 am   #3
Freya
Octode

Use an EHT diode in place of the existing EY86 valve rectifier, the existing heater winding can be removed if its accessible.
Old 8th Jun 2017, 2:46 pm   #4
regentone001
Heptode

having removed the heater winding unfortunately the lopt is still non operational and emitting smoke. I will put a request in for a replacement otherwise does anyone rewind lopts?
Old 8th Jun 2017, 6:32 pm   #5
Freya
Octode

Mike barker would be the person to ask, it may be possible.
Old 8th Jun 2017, 6:59 pm   #6
regentone001
Heptode

here are a couple of photos of the picture on this tv unfortunately the camera doesn't do it justice. the photos were taken in broad daylight the close up of the test card with the set facing the window
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	144166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1669.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	144167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1662.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	144168  
Old 11th Jun 2017, 1:38 pm   #7
regentone001
Heptode

would the tripler trick work with this set? I have attached the relevent part of the circuit. Assuming that the primary of the LOPT is still ok, if not Ed Dinning has let me know he can rewind the primary, would using a tripler be a suitable remedy? If so what else would I need to do?
Thanks
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170610_0001.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	144304  
Closed Thread