UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2017, 11:32 am   #1
busterwhite
Retired Dormant Member

Default Decca DM45 Television 1959

Hi all, I have just acquired a beautiful Decca DM45 Television with original manual, Dansette legs and Tambour roll doors. The TV is 1959 and needs a power cable. Please can anyone help?

I would like the TV looked at, to see if it works and I would like to sell it so would appreciate any valuations too please?
Old 5th May 2017, 12:33 pm   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Decca DM45 Television 1959

I think what you have is an Ekco 300 series chassis in a nicer cabinet, it needs a Pressac type mains connector.
Old 5th May 2017, 12:50 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Nice set.

Do NOT plug it in. If you are lucky only replaceable parts may go bang...

To get a picture on this even if it does work you will need a Digital Box and a Standards Converter. Do you want to be a restorer or a trader?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 5th May 2017, 4:07 pm   #4
busterwhite
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry just reread your post Steve, no I don't want to restore it myself.

I have a shop and so am looking to resell it, either now as it is or when fixed? Is there anyone on here able to get it working for me and any valuations?

Happy to post a pic but don't know how...?
Old 5th May 2017, 11:30 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Bit of a catch 22. The power cables are in short supply, they were only used for a limited time, unlike more recent ones that are common. Even if you had it, just plugging in and hoping is risky at this age. Are you aware that these sets are only usable by an enthusiast, who has the necessary equipment to convert to 405 lines?
Do you need an idea of it's value as an untested chance purchase, or would you like someone to have a look at it with a view to getting it working?
Old 6th May 2017, 10:02 am   #6
busterwhite
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Bill thanks for your message I would like an idea of its value as it is now, it is in excellent condition, the Dansette legs have been replaced but it has its original user manual, but as i say, no cable so it can't be used.
Old 6th May 2017, 12:16 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It would be best sold as a demonstration/display piece. The average buyer who might expect to use it as a working retro TV will not be able to use it. Value? Maybe £25-£50.
Old 6th May 2017, 3:42 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwhite View Post
no cable so it can't be used.
Perhaps a good thing.

Apart from the cost of restoration,it's been noted that a set top box for digital tv will be required and a standards convertor. Those two items will probably cost at least £200, just checked and the converters alone are £205 plus postage. The restoration could be any figure, impossible to guess.

To sell as a decorative display item would perhaps be best has as been suggested.

Frank
Old 14th May 2017, 8:39 am   #9
Freya
Octode

Good luck with your sale, it certainly looks good in the pictures.
Old 17th May 2017, 5:13 am   #10
Restoration73
Nonode

This is a Decca made TV/FM set. It has FM radio channels (H, T, L) on the turret, and
could be used as a working radio.
Old 6th Jun 2017, 10:04 pm   #11
Happy to help
Tetrode

I can't help at all with this, but wanted to mention that in 1961 I was doing the first test of the basic DM45 chassis at Decca's in Battersea. One of them nearly wiped me out when, with one hand firmly holding the chassis, I plugged in the aerial, and as the aerial socket flexed, it made contact with the slightly rotated mains dropper. BZZZZTTT! That got me 20 minutes off and a free cup of tea in the medical room.

I hope you get it going. Peter.
Closed Thread