UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2006, 9:37 pm   #1
Andy Day
Pentode

Default Ferguson 461; loudspeaker fault?

Hi folks,

I've just done a quick restoration of a Ferguson 461 from 1946, don't know why, it's unmemorable enough!

To the quick. The audio doesn't sound right. I'm a bit Mutt and Jeff, but some musical content sounds "crunchy" Not all music sounds the same, Virgin plays a tune 'The White Hare' by Seth Lakeman, sounds awful, but Ok on other radios. Other tunes on the 461 sound ok!

It's as if it distorts in a particular part of the audio spectrum, perhaps up at the top - probably 4-6 khz for me?

How should these sound, any ideas if there may be a fault?

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Jul 2011 at 1:58 pm.
Old 8th Nov 2006, 10:15 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Ferguson 461 audio sounds 'not right'

Hi Andy

Sounds like it might be the speaker. Try disconnecting the voice-coil of the speaker and temporarily connecting another speaker.
Old 8th Nov 2006, 10:59 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Yup. I'd go along with Colin on this.

I repaired one of these a few years ago and had to fit a replacement speaker. The original energised one had an O/C field coil so I fitted a choke and a PM speaker as the customer was not too bothered about originality...also didn't want to spend much!

The end result was fine. I seem to recall it sounded very good.

Might be worth pulling the speaker out and checking that the voice coil is not fouling the centre post. You may be able to re-centre it using thin paper shims if that's all it turns out to be.

Rich.
Old 9th Nov 2006, 9:17 pm   #4
Andy Day
Pentode

Thanks lads, you may well be right!

When you gently move the cone in and out by hand you can hear the voice coil fouling the core or magnet. I'll sub one off another radio.