UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2013, 7:44 pm   #1
Andy Day
Pentode

Default Ekco DC 15/25 Battery eliminator.

Hi folks.

Searching in the loft I rediscover this Ekco battery eliminator purchased some time ago. Looking at the at the selector panel I can see H and L for screen grid, Neg, and two other outputs, one 50/80, the other 120/150. Then there is a selector giving and H, M and L option, I presume high, medium and low variations on 50/80 or 120/150. No suggestion of any filament voltages. How would a sets filaments be powered when using this?

I see no device to rectify ac, so I guess the model number, DC 15/25 indicates it was for DC mains only. Any ideas of how it could be adapted for modern safe mains use?

As you can see, there is what looks like an encapsulated capacitor block that is all bulged up, so I think that will need attention. I have a Burndept CN240 battery set and originally acquired this eliminator in the hope I could power the Burndept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2213.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	77040   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2215.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	77041   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2214.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	77042   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2216.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	77043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burndept front.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	77044  

Old 4th Mar 2013, 10:02 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco DC 15/25 Battery eliminator.

As you rightly surmised, this was for DC mains. It is an HT eliminator only, no provision for LT. They were usually simple resistor droppers, so the voltages would be dependant on the current draw of the receiver (15-25mA perhaps?).
It would need a mains transformer adding to be useful, and new smoothing capacitors.
Old 5th Mar 2013, 7:28 pm   #3
Andy Day
Pentode

Hi Bill, I originally bought this with the idea I would use the case and fit a transformer etc, with a zener regulated selection of HT outputs, but I find myself in that difficult position of destroying all the units originality. I may eventually modify it, after all it's no use as it stands. And of course I could add an LT section at the same time.

Andy
Old 5th Mar 2013, 9:10 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

Kept original it makes a good door stop.
As there is little of use in it, a sympathetically constructed power supply would keep the vintage look and be safe into the bargain.
Old 5th Mar 2013, 9:40 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Andy, this is very similar to the AC versions of the eliminators but with a dropper not a transformer. Ditch the dropper and fit a transformer, re-stuff the cap can and use an Si bridge; you have the AC version. There is probably also space to fit an LT supply with a chip regulator as well. Transformers from old VCRs often have a range of windings that will suit.

Ed
Closed Thread