UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2020, 5:15 pm   #1
Brydone

Default Vibraphone Motors

Hello,

I recently purchased a used Premier Vibraphone Model 700. They were built in the late 1950's in England and I am having trouble with the wiring in the motor. The motor is a Garrard D15 induction motor. My question is, where is the power cable? I'll attach some photos. If anyone knows anything about these motors that would be great. Thanks
Old 24th Jul 2020, 5:57 pm   #2
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Vibraphone Motors

Hi

Wikipedia suggests yours is probably a Garrard 50Hz 240v induction motor, and you may be able to change the trem speed with a stepped pulley. If you're running at 60Hz, then I guess your trem will go a bit faster. Send a pic - someone here will recognise the motor from a turntable and we can work out where to apply mains. I guess you might want a fused plug and an on-off switch in there somewhere too, and maybe a neon indicator so you know before you hit the first chord on a darkened stage, whether you have trem or not!
cheers
Mark
Old 27th Jul 2020, 10:23 am   #3
Brigham
Octode

Default Re: Vibraphone Motors

I'm not sure a 'fused plug' is a known entity in Canada.
Closed Thread