UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2019, 7:06 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Were there any all-valve PAL colour-TVs?

Thinking about the "first ICs used in colour TVs" thread leads me to ponder - was any UK manufacturer foolish enough to produce an all-valve UHF PAL TV?

I know there were plenty of all-valve NTSC colo(u)r-tellies in the 'states (they went colour well over a decade before the UK), but NTSC is a bit simpler and by the time PAL got established in Europe the movement-towards-semiconductors was well on the way. Given the poor performance of consumer tuner-stage valves at UHF, and the UK only having colour on UHF, I'd really not wan to have had to deal with low-gain/drifty UHF valve-tuners **and** the complications of an all-valve PAL decoder strip!
Old 5th Aug 2019, 8:04 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Were there any all-valve PAL colour-TVs?

I shouldn't think so.
One of the strangest hybrid colour sets from the point of view of surprising places to use valves was the 11" Kuba Portacolor, usually seen here with a Granada Colorette badge.
I think the burst amplifier was a valve, and there were probably more surprises. Can anyone find the schematic?

They certainly made great portable room heaters.
Old 5th Aug 2019, 8:15 pm   #3
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I remember being given a Philips G6 on a "keep if I can repair" basis when I was about 14. One look inside was enough to put me off (thankfully). It had a fair number of valves and I never worked out the power consumption but it must have been huge. I can't remember if it had transistors too, but looking back I would imagine that the signal processing was probably done with a bucketful of lockfits.
Old 5th Aug 2019, 8:20 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

It wasn’t a production set but it’s history is documented well. Started as 405 NTSC, modified to 625 NTSC and again modified to PAL-S.
https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/communit...tal-colour-tv/

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=36175
Old 5th Aug 2019, 10:36 pm   #5
space_charged
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I remember being given a Philips G6 on a "keep if I can repair" basis.
I was given a single standard G6 as a leaving present from a holiday job I had in a TV repair workshop. It had a defective EHT overwind, so I re-designed it to use a tripler. That allowed me to get rid of the shunt stabiliser and the focus rectifier valve.

I used it as my main set for a good many years and fitted it with a re-gunned tube. I still have the set, though not used it in years.

I do remember the colour decoder uses a lot of valves.
Old 6th Aug 2019, 12:14 am   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_charged View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I remember being given a Philips G6 on a "keep if I can repair" basis.
I was given a single standard G6 as a leaving present from a holiday job I had in a TV repair workshop. It had a defective EHT overwind, so I re-designed it to use a tripler. That allowed me to get rid of the shunt stabiliser and the focus rectifier valve.

I used it as my main set for a good many years and fitted it with a re-gunned tube. I still have the set, though not used it in years.

I do remember the colour decoder uses a lot of valves.
The PCF200s became difficult to obtain at a reasonable price, and a solid-state module was developed that simply plugged in to the B9A sockets. The results were poor as I remember, and of course, you had to replace all three.
Old 6th Aug 2019, 12:32 am   #7
space_charged
Hexode

Yes I have heard of solid state plug in replacements for valves being used. Never seen one let alone had to use one though. I love the magic of valves and have a reasonable stock of NOS set aside to keep my kit going.

I will restore my G6 at some time. It was put away (in warm and dry conditions) in working order so should be fine. Its a 25" version in a very nice (large) wooden cabinet with doors.

I have a spare colour decoder for it in my loft, complete with valves.
Old 6th Aug 2019, 12:37 am   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

The PL802 was replaced by a solid state module, I think.

The continental version, the K6, didn't have a bucketload of lockfits. Maybe a shot glass of germanium transistors with a BC107 thrown in for good measure. I should look up what was in it exactly, but mostly valves anyway. Power consumption close to 400W.
Old 6th Aug 2019, 7:48 am   #9
Nuvistor
Dekatron

PL802 definitely had solid state replacement, the picture was not quite as good as the valve version.
Photo in post#11
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=5509
Old 6th Aug 2019, 6:17 pm   #10
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Thinking about the "first ICs used in colour TVs" thread leads me to ponder - was any UK manufacturer foolish enough to produce an all-valve UHF PAL TV?

I know there were plenty of all-valve NTSC colo(u)r-tellies in the 'states (they went colour well over a decade before the UK), but NTSC is a bit simpler and by the time PAL got established in Europe the movement-towards-semiconductors was well on the way. Given the poor performance of consumer tuner-stage valves at UHF, and the UK only having colour on UHF, I'd really not wan to have had to deal with low-gain/drifty UHF valve-tuners **and** the complications of an all-valve PAL decoder strip!
I remember reading about an all-valve RCA CTC16 from the US converted to PAL using, IIRC, an all valve decoder. It was featured on the US website, "VideoKarma" by Collie 405.
That's how I found this fine website and been hanging around ever since.
Respectfully and always interested, Dave US radcoll1.
Old 6th Aug 2019, 7:34 pm   #11
Andy Doz
Hexode

Those solid-state replacements ran hotter than the valves they replaced!
Old 6th Aug 2019, 9:09 pm   #12
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

The 11" Granada Portable Colourette wasn't entirely valved as the a.g.c and one or two of the preamplifiers, as well as the U.H.F. tuner, were transistorised!

It had a number of techniques "rolling back" the years in circuit design – there was no LOP stage width stabilisation, and the small deflector coils had to be connected together as the insulation was unable to withstand the boost h.t. voltage, necessitating a fully isolated scan–drive winding on the LOPT.

Note the CRT heater transformer was NOT mains–energised – it was a small current–transformer operated by the heater–chain current!

All this can be inspected from Granada's S.M., very nicely written with Mullard–style text andWireless–World diagram lettering, from here:–

http://www.oldtechnology.net/documen...Colourette.zip

Chris Williams
Old 6th Aug 2019, 10:02 pm   #13
ctc15
Pentode

Hi I have a RCA CTC16 ntsc all valve colour TV which has been modified to work on 625 lines NTSC and PAL 4.43 Mhz you can see it at this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ighlight=ctc15
Keith
Old 6th Aug 2019, 10:23 pm   #14
emeritus
Dekatron

Keith, that link does not work for me.
Old 6th Aug 2019, 10:49 pm   #15
Nuvistor
Dekatron

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=129430

Is this the link?
Old 7th Aug 2019, 8:07 am   #16
ctc15
Pentode

Hi Frank Thank you for the correction.
Keith
Old 7th Aug 2019, 8:34 am   #17
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Doz View Post
Those solid-state replacements ran hotter than the valves they replaced!
I hated those darned things. They ran hot and had a poor HF response along with lower gain than the real deal.
Old 7th Aug 2019, 3:59 pm   #18
terrykc
Rest in Peace

We had an all valve Ekco NTSC set at college that I modified for simple PAL. Had to punch holes for two EH90s in that steel chassis!
Old 7th Aug 2019, 6:31 pm   #19
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
Hi!

The 11" Granada Portable Colourette wasn't entirely valved as the a.g.c and one or two of the preamplifiers, as well as the U.H.F. tuner, were transistorised!

It had a number of techniques "rolling back" the years in circuit design – there was no LOP stage width stabilisation, and the small deflector coils had to be connected together as the insulation was unable to withstand the boost h.t. voltage, necessitating a fully isolated scan–drive winding on the LOPT.

Note the CRT heater transformer was NOT mains–energised – it was a small current–transformer operated by the heater–chain current!

All this can be inspected from Granada's S.M., very nicely written with Mullard–style text andWireless–World diagram lettering, from here:–

http://www.oldtechnology.net/documen...Colourette.zip

Chris Williams
4 transistors vs 16 valves,
and, irony of ironies, it's supposed to be a portable!
Can anyone beat that for a consumer set intended for the UK?
Old 7th Aug 2019, 6:46 pm   #20
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I never worked on one but when they came available I did ask why, presume Granada did rent them, perhaps they rented very well.