UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2019, 3:02 pm   #1
G4CMY_Tony
Triode

Default Panasonic DMR-E75V fault

Although this probably doesn't really count as true vintage equipment, I was hoping one of the learned people on here might have come across this before.

the DMR-E75V is a combined VHS and DVD player / recorder. I've had it for many years and currently use it mainly for digitising VHS tapes either to my computer or direct to DVD.

A while ago it developed an intermittent fault when it would power off when brought out of standby and would only power back on when unplugged and plugged back in a few times

The fault has now developed so that it will not power on at all when plugged in.

I have seen several of these machines for sale for spares or repair with a fault described as "will not power on" so I am guessing it might be a common problem.

I suspect a power supply fault but am unable to find any service details about this model. I can find a manual for the DMR-E75VP but that seems to be a very different machine with a HDD.

If anyone has knowledge of this I would be very grateful for any gems of wisdom. Even a circuit diagram would be useful.
Old 11th Feb 2019, 4:07 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic DMR-E75V fault

Possibly, Elektrotanya has a circuit. Apart from electrolytics, if it uses an STR-G switcher IC, that would be suspect as well.
Old 11th Feb 2019, 4:54 pm   #3
unixmanuk
Pentode

Sounds very much like capacitor plague (leaking electrolytics). Look for bulging radial mounted capacitors with traces of dried brown electrolyte on the top surfaces.
I've lost count of the number of devices over the past few years seen with this fault. My own DMR-EZ45V developed problems, and this was to blame. You can get complete capacitor repair kits for Panasonic recorders on the internet.
Old 11th Feb 2019, 6:07 pm   #4
G4CMY_Tony
Triode

Thank you for your replies.

Yes - there is at least one electrolytic with brown deposits and another which is beginning to bulge so that is very likely the problem.

I did not know that replacement capacitor kits were available - I will look out for those.

I haven't yet tried to remove the power supply board as I was hoping to get hold of a servicing manual to undo things in the best order (it is nicely "knitted" together) but I will get the replacement capacitors and take it from there.

Thank you once again.
Old 11th Feb 2019, 6:14 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

They are great fun to strip down and watch any ribbon cables.There will be several out of spec caps and maybe a repair kit available on eBay.

If not then one of the Panasonic kit suppliers will very often make you one up.
Old 11th Feb 2019, 6:23 pm   #6
G4CMY_Tony
Triode

Thank you - yes, I'm looking forward to repairing it but its such a nice machine (when it's working!) that I don't want to risk doing unnecessary damage to it.

It is the flimsy ribbon cables and the other board to board plugs that I'm most nervous about.
Old 11th Feb 2019, 6:30 pm   #7
kevinaston1
Hexode

Hi Tony,

Yes. Dried out caps on the power supply. However, I remember there are two somewhere near the front of the main board which dry out; you cannot see them until the whole of the unit is stripped down.

My service manual is around 5MB, so I cannot post it here.

Kevin
Old 11th Feb 2019, 6:46 pm   #8
G4CMY_Tony
Triode

Thanks, Kevin - PM sent
Old 13th Feb 2019, 9:03 am   #9
G4CMY_Tony
Triode

I replaced the suspect capacitors and it is as good as new!

Thanks once again for the helpful comments.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 9:39 am   #10
mark pirate
Dekatron

I had problems with my Panasonic, just one replacement cap on the PSU and has been working flawlessly ever since. see here :https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=149912

Mark
Old 13th Feb 2019, 3:20 pm   #11
G4CMY_Tony
Triode

It was certainly an interesting exercise to get the board out but it all went back together again with nothing left over

I only replaced two capacitors in the end - each one 1500uF, 16V which I replaced with 25V versions. All the other one's seem fine and the machine now works as well as it ever did.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 4:02 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Good machines and good move as I have done in the past upping the capacitor spec a bit.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 5:26 pm   #13
Maarten
Dekatron

Working voltage isn't the most important spec here as they are likely to be on a 12V or lower rail. Impedance and rated life are the most important. That said, a 25V electrolytic will often have a lower impedance than the 16V one since it has a somewhat larger active area. Within the same capacitor series, impedance is often given as a function of physical size, the larger capacitor having a lower impedance.
Old 14th Feb 2019, 10:51 am   #14
G4CMY_Tony
Triode

Hi Maarten

Thank you for the word of wisdom.

I am always impressed by both the breadth and depth of knowledge of the members of this excellent forum.
Closed Thread