UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2007, 10:13 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default In praise of the Bush TV24.

The Bush TV24 must be one of the most unfortunate of early 1950s TV receivers. Until recently most of them were broken up to be nothing more than a source of spare parts for it's smaller brother, the TV22.

Sure it doesn't look much, a bit plain looking perhaps, but like all Bush TV sets it is beautifully made.

I must confess I was one of the many who chopped up a TV24 for the parts, including a rare TV24C, the dual band version.

Anyway, last week I decided to give my own TV24 a service and the results can be seen on the attached pictures.

No variacs were used during the servicing of this set.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV24a.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	7576   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV24b.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	7577   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV24c.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	7578  
Old 5th Jan 2007, 10:20 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: In praise of the Bush TV24.

I agree

Nice, well built, sets.
Well worth the effort of restoring
Old 6th Jan 2007, 12:14 am   #3
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I like these sets, a better choice of the same sets of the period; the earlier ones with round screens are very attractive to me.

I don't have one myself; just TV12 and 22, but I do have a TUG12 console with doors, the chassis of which I find more attractive than the cabinet.

I presume these are all based on similar designs internally following the upratings, as the TV12 to 22, 22a etc?

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 12th Oct 2007 at 11:15 am. Reason: Readability
Old 7th Jan 2007, 8:40 pm   #4
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Fernseh and everyone.

I like the old Bush TV24 too. They're excellent. I've enclosed a picture of my TV.

From Mike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bush TV24.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	7603  
Old 7th Jan 2007, 8:50 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

A sad story with a (fairly) happy ending...

While at University and living in Selly Oak (1994) I spotted a sad-looking TV24 put out for the bin men. Back missing, valves long gone, tube smashed, chassis generally fiddled with. Obviously, I grabbed it.

Next week, the house clearance shop at the other end of the road was throwing out some non-working modern TVs, amongst which was a Ferguson 12" mono set fitted with the Thorn 1790 chassis (their last mono portable, I think, using the Motorola "Monomax" jungle chip). All it needed was a new line OP transistor and then it was like new. But even as a poor student, the appeal of B&W portables was minimal (except the low licence fee).

So I stripped and French polished the TV24 case, and used Brasso to get the Bakelite gleaming. Then I fitted the Thorn 1790 chassis & Mullard 12" tube into the old cabinet. The big LH knob became power/volume, the right was linked to a rotary switch and some multiturn pots to provide channel selection, and the little ones were used to control brightness and contrast.

I appreciate that this kind of thing will NOT impress the purists here, but it saved two items from landfill, and gave a lot of pleasure for many years. I had it until 3 years ago, when I gave it away due to lack of space.

Sorry about the poor photos - the gleaming woodwork and Bakelite looked wonderful in real life.

Nick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bush.JPG
Views:	566
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	7604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush 1.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	7605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thorn 1790 chassis.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	7606  
Old 7th Jan 2007, 9:32 pm   #6
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I have done this before, but only to something unsaveable in original state.
I fitted a windup Baygen radio into a late 20s transportable Marconi radio cabinet with very pleasing results.

The only thing that lets that conversion down is the tube shape; but fun to do and you weren't destroying anything, just bringing it back to life.
Old 7th Jan 2007, 10:20 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes, that's what I was thinking. It would have been nicer if it could have fitted behind the original mask, even if the height and width needed adjusting to reduce the amount of picture lost off the edges.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Jan 2007, 10:35 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Yes, that's what I was thinking. It would have been nicer if it could have fitted behind the original mask, even if the height and width needed adjusting to reduce the amount of picture lost off the edges.
True. But the original mask was perished beyond redemption. I could certainly have painted the wooden surround a more appropriate colour though.
Old 7th Jan 2007, 11:32 pm   #9
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Only one criticism about the TV24. It requires a lot more work to do when the chassis has to be withdrawn from the cabinet. The brightness and on-off volume controls are fitted on separate brackets.

It's much easier on the TV22, just loosen the front control knobs, remove four screws and and the chassis comes out en bloc, speaker and controls included.

DFWB.
Old 8th Jan 2007, 8:05 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Fernseh,
I quite agree, the Bush TV24 12" table model has had a unfairly cruel life! My favourite is the TUG24 console. This is a fine looking set and many of these sets were still giving good service well into the colour era.
My example was presented to me by a customer in the mid 1970's. They had bought it new, had it converted to I.T.A. with the Bush tuner and replaced it with a Toshiba colour television in 1977! Only 2 years later Toshiba would own the very factory where their old TUG24 was manufactured. Chickens coming home to roost! The set is exactly as I obtained it and the attached 'period' picture was taken about 2 years ago in my 'museum'. Most of the components including the capacitors are original.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bush TV24. Front view..JPG
Views:	383
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	7623  
Old 8th Jan 2007, 10:24 pm   #11
af024
Octode

Not to mention keeping that CRT supported somehow before it slides forward and puts all its weight on the neck (eeeeaakkk)! What a daft arrangement that is, eh?
Never mind, there are probably worse things out there.

I still like them though.

Andy

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 12th Oct 2007 at 11:19 am.
Old 9th Jan 2007, 6:16 pm   #12
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Hello Fernseh,
My favourite is the TUG24 console. Only 2 years later Toshiba would own the very factory where their old TUG24 was manufactured. Chickens coming home to roost! The set is exactly as I obtained it and the attached 'period' picture was taken about 2 years ago in my 'museum'. Most of the components including the capacitors are original.
Talking of TUG24's and museums, they have two of these in working order at the NMPFT Bradford, though only one is on show at a time.

Steve
Old 9th Jan 2007, 10:20 pm   #13
murphyv310
Dekatron

Yes the TV24 is excellent set, much better than its little sister the TV22, it has a decent wooden cabinet not the cheapo plastic junk on the TV22 and also a massive 12 inch tube!

My TV24 had a nice history, it was sold in 1952 and went faulty 18 months later, the selling dealer took the set back for repair but was unable to effect a repair. The set was then looked at by a Bush field tech to no avail, a free replacement was then offered to the customer.

The faulty set was never collected by Bush; I luckily obtained the set when the dealer closed a couple of years ago, the original fault was a leak in the frame blocking osc tranny between the primary and secondary (how, I don't know) after a major cap re-change it was the best TV24 I have seen with a minted CRT & cabinet.

I sold this for good money during my 'broke' period when the workshop was shutting, I wish I still had it!

Trevor
Old 13th Jan 2007, 11:52 pm   #14
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANS ANITAS View Post
Mikey
That is a trully excellent picture. Is the test card displayed from your DVD?

ALAN
Hi Alan.

Thank you. The picture being displayed is actually from a little test-card generator gadget.

From Mike.
Closed Thread