UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2019, 9:34 pm   #21
Morayfirthaudio
Triode

Default Re: Bush AC11 This Capacitor that needs replaced?

Excellent, that will help, as it’s guess work in what needs looked at so this will massively help.
However I think I’m going mad I’m sure there was a link on here to purchase a Data sheet for £1.99 but can I find it!?!? I’ve hunted everywhere but all I can find is the trader sheet, am I going mad?
Old 8th Aug 2019, 10:21 pm   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

https://www.service-data.com/product.php/570/901/m10570

;-)
Old 8th Aug 2019, 10:25 pm   #23
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morayfirthaudio View Post
I’m sure there was a link on here to purchase a Data sheet for £1.99 but can I find it!?!? I’ve hunted everywhere but all I can find is the trader sheet, am I going mad?
https://www.service-data.com/product.php/570/901/m10570

The reason I quote Trader sheet references where possible is because I think it's fairer to all concerned due to the general availability of the Trader sheets, it means that some of the poorer folk on here like myself who's on a basic state pension with cats and other things to feed can offer genuine and sincere assistance based on many years in the Radio & Television servicing trade without any prerequisite being required for me to help.

EDIT: Post crossed.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 8th Aug 2019 at 10:38 pm.
Old 8th Aug 2019, 10:27 pm   #24
crackle
Rest in Peace

For those replacement capacitors to replace the waxed paper ones in valve radios I always buy 630 volt types, there is no problem with using a capacitor of higher voltage rating, just keep to as close as possible to the value in micro Farads..
Occasionally you may need a higher voltage one.
But you will find all the sticky wax paper ones will have their max. working voltage, as well as their value printed on them.

To be honest although manufacturers service information can sometimes have more detail it is NOT always the case.
The nice thing with Trader service sheets is they nearly always use the same type of layout for the circuit, so it is easier to become familiar with the various stages in the radio and what they do. The drawback with trader sheets is the component values are never on the circuit, so you often have to keep swapping between the circuit and a list of components, its difficult to have too may sheets of paper on a crowded work bench.
Some manufacturers have no service information or just issue a circuit diagram. With a Trader service sheet you know that what information you get is all you need to know. (normally)
If you have the Trader sheet my advice is stick with it.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 8th Aug 2019 at 10:36 pm.
Old 9th Aug 2019, 1:05 am   #25
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

The capacitor in question is 0.01 microfarad, (not 0.1, though it would work fine there.)
Another supplier of a suitable one at a reasonable price is: https://www.rapidonline.com/jb-capac...acitor-08-1336
Old 9th Aug 2019, 1:26 am   #26
Techman
Dekatron

Yes, although good quality capacitors are available from such as RS etc, the ones available and mentioned by HamishBoxer in post #10 and by David in the link in post #11, are as good as anything. Those available from Duncan Haskell linked to in the latter mentioned post are what I've been using for several years now - a fiver for ten and a couple of clicks on ebay to order and they arrive in a couple of days. I've ordered from that particular seller twice just recently, the last order arrived just a couple of days ago and I'm using the components right now. You'll find that the 0.01uf value is one of the most common values that you'll need, so may as well get a pack of ten. Cricklewood Electronics is another good supplier that I've had components including capacitors from in the past. You can also series and parallel them (the 0.01uf capacitors) to get other values that you may need, although this is not to be recommended, as it doesn't look very professional to see them connected in this way in a circuit, but fine as a temporary measure until you obtain the correct part.

I've also found that the manufacturers service data isn't always better than the Trader sheets, although I haven't actually compared the two versions in this particular case, so the manufacturers information could well be the one to go for in this instance.
Old 9th Aug 2019, 10:46 am   #27
Morayfirthaudio
Triode

I think I’m going mad! I’m sure there was a link here to the Data sheet for £1.99 but I can find it anywhere, did I dream that?
Old 9th Aug 2019, 1:05 pm   #28
AC/HL
Dekatron

Both: https://www.service-data.com/section.php/901/1/ac11
Old 9th Aug 2019, 10:07 pm   #29
Morayfirthaudio
Triode

Thanks Teetoon, I'm grateful for any help at all.
And I have my Data sheet, and yes it's so much easier to follow
Old 16th Aug 2019, 11:46 pm   #30
Morayfirthaudio
Triode

Ok, quick update, so it's all good news.
Smoothing Capacitor replaced and 2 new Bulbs... and it still works!!!
So on to Phase 2, not to sure what phase 2 is yet but I'll hunt around to see what else needs replaced, but this old girl sounds as sweet as a nut
Thanks for all your help once again