UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2018, 5:30 pm   #1
Tom williams
Pentode

Default Mystery heater?

My nan has this heater that is made by Electrical Industries of Ireland Limited and I don't know much about it other than the brand, if anyone can help that would be great.

Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_162014.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	172469   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_161946.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	172470   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_161754.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	172471  
Old 10th Nov 2018, 1:58 am   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Mystery heater?

It’s similar to many ‘one bar electric fires’ made over the 1940-1960 decades. Yours looks in good condition, and well designed with an effective guard.

However please bear in mind the fact that such appliances will never meet modern electrical safety regulations! You might encourage your Nan to get it checked for safety. It should still pass a modern Class I PAT test.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 10th Nov 2018, 9:54 am   #3
Brigham
Octode

Another one heading for the dustbin.
Electrical Industries of Ireland Limited doesn't ring any bells, but I would guess at a company building local versions of an existing item, for the benefit of jobs and the economy.
Rover cars were built in Dublin under a similar arrangement.
Old 10th Nov 2018, 10:00 am   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I'd guess at the '70s for this one's age, from the general look of it plus the foil label with British Electrical Approvals Board kite mark. Probably safe enough so long as the cable isn't under strain or fraying, the main danger with these comes if they're knocked over when nobody's around, anything gets draped over them, etc. Best kept out of the bathroom too of course.

Paul
Old 10th Nov 2018, 6:26 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

you can of course still buy them.
If it's BEAB approved then it's been through some pretty strict safety tests which include clothing etc draped over and timing how long it takes to ignite. The requirements are covered in the Which? tests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	172570  
Old 10th Nov 2018, 7:03 pm   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes, the spacing between the bars may be the main thing that wouldn't be permitted in a new heater: much wider on Tom's than on that one.
Old 10th Nov 2018, 7:45 pm   #7
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I also think - though it’s hard to tell from the photo - that the elements in the ‘new’ heater are sleeved in quartz glass, rather than being open wound with bare wire.

It was by using a mains neon tester screwdriver and an open-wire bar fire as a schoolboy that I learned about potential dividers and neon striking voltages...

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 10th Nov 2018, 8:23 pm   #8
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Glass sleeved elements are still treated as live for the purposes of inserting a British Standard Test Finger (BS 3042:1971)
Old 12th Nov 2018, 10:45 am   #9
Brigham
Octode

Quartz tube elements are a different technology. They are hollow, and take a spiral-wire of
the bowl-fire type, stretched out.
I've not yet met a round bar element with a quartz tube as well.
Old 15th Nov 2018, 11:27 am   #10
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Yes, but for touch safe requirements quartz tubes are treated as though they were wire spirals.
Old 20th Nov 2018, 10:47 pm   #11
Tom williams
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
It’s similar to many ‘one bar electric fires’ made over the 1940-1960 decades. Yours looks in good condition, and well designed with an effective guard.

However please bear in mind the fact that such appliances will never meet modern electrical safety regulations! You might encourage your Nan to get it checked for safety. It should still pass a modern Class I PAT test.
The plug on it is a bs 1363 with unsleeved pins and a 13 amp fuse, the plug gets quite warm when both bars are in use and not so warm a only one is in use
Old 20th Nov 2018, 11:42 pm   #12
teetoon
Heptode

Hi Tom, if you are worried about the plug getting warm, I would have a look inside and make sure the screws are not loose and check the fuse holders. If you remove the fuse and squeeze the forks together slightly then the fuse will make a better connection.

It could also be the socket you are using is old and not gripping the pins as well as it should.
It is quite common for 13 amp plugs to get warm with loads of 2 Kw or more but they shouldn't be hot.

David.
Old 21st Nov 2018, 5:48 pm   #13
Tom williams
Pentode

The socket used is a modern MK 2 gang switched with neon and I think it is a two KW heater.
Old 31st Dec 2018, 4:37 pm   #14
Tom williams
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetoon View Post
Hi Tom, if you are worried about the plug getting warm, I would have a look inside and make sure the screws are not loose and check the fuse holders. If you remove the fuse and squeeze the forks together slightly then the fuse will make a better connection.

It could also be the socket you are using is old and not gripping the pins as well as it should.
It is quite common for 13 amp plugs to get warm with loads of 2 Kw or more but they shouldn't be hot.

David.
No need to worry anymore, it's gone to heater heaven😥😥😭😭
Closed Thread