UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 24th Oct 2021, 8:17 am   #1
pmmunro
Octode

Default Early Oscilloscope Cathode Ray Tubes

I have some early Oscilloscope Carts to pass on to someone who can use them.

1 -. CV1596 (09D) in original crate with sprung canvas sleeve, and base plug

1 - VCR 97

2 - VCR 138.

The CV1596 was in working condition when put into dry storage, many years ago. I have no reason to think the others are not operational but they have not been tested.

I am in Hartfordshire for a few days and will be travelling home by the M6/M74 route on Wednesday and could deliver them to any point not too far off that route. I'm also meaning to be in Oxford on Tuesday.

PMM
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2021, 10:00 am   #2
AdrianH
Heptode

Default Re: Early Oscilloscope Cathode Ray Tubes

Hello;

I do not have any use for these immediately as I have a small stock of old similar CRT's in the garage, but I would not like to see them binned if no one steps forward.

What I could do is to save them for anyone that may be interested and would be going to Golborne and take them along assuming you are not going yourself.
I am down the M65 off the M6, and if the timings are OK I could meet near the M65/M6 junction to collect the CRT's and then pass on later.

If no other interest I would happily save them until someone may need them.

But I am sure the VCR 97 will be of interest to someone.

Adrian
Old 24th Oct 2021, 12:28 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

09D is for the Cossor 339 scope. True dual beam, but unbalanced Y deflector plate.

David
Old 24th Oct 2021, 3:55 pm   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

Forum member Anthony was looking for a working VCR97 recently for a Gee indicator unit, I passed on a couple of them to him recently but unfortunately both turned out to be unusable. He lives in Hertfordshire but I don't know how often he checks the forum- might be worth trying a PM?

Colin
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2021, 5:19 pm   #5
Pamphonica
Nonode

Hi Peter, I've spoken to Anthony recently and I found him a reasonable VCR97 for his GEE at auction. But it's not all that bright. I'll drop him an email and see if he would appreciate yours.
All the best
Jeremy
(fellow Avo nut!)
Old 24th Oct 2021, 7:07 pm   #6
Anthony
Pentode

Peter. I would be very very keen on the VCR97. Many thanks to Jeremy for alerting me. Am PMing you. Anthony
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2021, 8:13 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The problem with the VCR 97 is that it was produced in huge numbers by many companies. They were not intended to have a long life and I doubt if they had a lot of time on the pumps. Add to this the huge electrostatic gun assembly containing many molecules of gas and the future does not look good.

Recently I tested around six NOS VCR97s and every one was very low emission giving a very dim picture when fitted in a home constructed ARGUS. The original tube fitted in the ARGUS is very good thankfully. Time has passed. John.
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2021, 7:29 pm   #8
pmmunro
Octode

Adrian,

Apart from the VCR97 which is going to Anthony,. no-one else has asked for these tubes, so I would like to accept your offer. I will send you send you a private message to arrange a pickup.

PMM
Old 26th Oct 2021, 5:19 pm   #9
Anthony
Pentode

Peter very kindly dropped off his VCR97 today - greatly appreciated. I shall report back how it behaves. Colin, as above, also kindly let me have some VCR97s which were so-so. I do have one - thanks to Jeremy - which performs OK on Gee MkII as long as ambient lighting is not too high. Of course I do not have a gold-standard to compare these with.

I have tried a couple of well-trodden strategies such as upping the heater current but these have done nothing. I am wary of (a) destroying a tube which just about works and (b) do not like fiddling around the very high voltages.

Having said that, John's comment about his very good ARGUS tube is significant. Why should one tube be so good? Perhaps it is some constant use over the years rather than initial build? I have tried to accumulate hours of use on one tube and I do maybe fool myself that there has been some slight improvement. What I will not do is dispose of any of the not so good tubes in case someone comes up with a bright idea - no pun intended. Anthony
Old 27th Oct 2021, 7:01 pm   #10
AdrianH
Heptode

The CV1596 and VCR 138 tubes are now with me, nice to meet you Peter, safe journey home.

Adrian
Old 1st Nov 2021, 10:50 am   #11
Anthony
Pentode

Put Peter's VCR97 into the Gee MkII today and it gives a lovely bright sharp trace - the best I have seen yet. Photo attached. The tube base is a bit loose but that is easily fixed (common problem I have found). The photo in fact flatters the trace brightness. (It still needs the tube rotating and the trace width adjusting). So, a big thank you to Peter and, of course, UK Vintage Radio. Anthony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gee Main Timebase Peter's VCR97.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	244759  
Old 1st Nov 2021, 12:06 pm   #12
Pamphonica
Nonode

Wonderful result!
-Jeremy
Old 4th Nov 2021, 7:16 pm   #13
turretslug
Dekatron

That's very impressive with that lovely classic green trace- I'm trying to recall the context, but it might have been a rare colour film documentary of a Lancaster sortie where there's a glimpse of the navigator's position complete with a Gee indicator trace that very much rang a bell there.

Good to hear that a good VCR97 has finally turned up. I don't know what is the best way to keep a vintage CRT like this in good condition- does one run it up for several hours every now and then with the overall equipment getting thoroughly warm in the hope of prodding the getter into proper action and the cathode coating well exercised, or is it best to treat it as something on strictly borrowed time that gets limited "show" use?

I thought that that (unfortunately U/S) GEC VCR97 had a particularly impressive gun assembly with all of its ceramic insulator parts and gleaming electrodes, but John's point about the difficulty of thoroughly de-gassing such a large and complex assembly is very pertinent. I should have taken a photo of it to submit to The Valve Museum, I'd meant to but forgot!

Colin
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2021, 9:28 pm   #14
pmmunro
Octode

Anthony,

I'm really glad to know the VCR97 has found a good home and that it's useful.

I must have had that tube for 50 years without finding a use for it, or perhaps the time to find a use, and I can't remember which of two possible sources it came from.

Thanks for letting us know your success.

PMM