UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2019, 8:58 am   #1
William275
Triode

Default Another Ferguson Radiogram 387RG.

Hi. I have a Ferguson 387RG. I got it a few days ago. It hadn’t been used for the last 6 years. The problem I have is the the control switch to change from radio to gram doesn’t seem to do anything I changed it from Am to gram and since then it doesn’t seem to do anything, the knob turns but doesn’t appear to do anything. Also I am thinking of buying a NOS Fulfi cartridge., but an concerned that it may be no good due to age. Would that be the case? I want to keep it as original as possible and want to keep the turn over part on the front of the pick up arm.

I am also looking for somebody in my area who is able to service it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 2:29 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Another Ferguson Radiogram 387RG.

If you decide to buy a NOS BSR TC8M Ful-fi cartridge for this, do remember you cannot play any Stereo LPs (and most of them will be) on this. But, first of all, how do you know you need a new cartridge?
Old 29th Dec 2019, 2:40 pm   #3
music-centre
Heptode

Other Ferguson table Radios I have had from this period have had Grubscrews fixing the Knobs which can come loose, might be worth a check? if the cartridge is NOS I personally wouldn't purchase it as these rarely seem to be working correctly nowadays.
Steve.

Last edited by music-centre; 29th Dec 2019 at 2:51 pm.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 10:02 pm   #4
G0HFCFrank
Pentode

"If you decide to buy a NOS BSR TC8M Ful-fi cartridge for this, do remember you cannot play any Stereo LPs "

Am I missing something here? I always understood stereo records combined both channels into one when played on a mono deck?

Frank C.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 10:31 pm   #5
Mr 1936
Heptode

The advice that used to be given was that mono cartridges didn't have enough lateral compliance as they were designed only for vertical (mono) movements, and this would therefore damage stereo records. A stereo cartridge wired for mono would be OK.

Despite this sage advice, I confess that I still use the original 65 year old mono cartridge in my Ferguson radiogram to play the occasional stereo record and they still sound OK to me !
Old 29th Dec 2019, 10:44 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Many older cartridges lack the necessary vertical compliance to traverse a stereo groove (where horizontal motion represents the sum of both channels L+R, and vertical motion represents the difference L-R) properly; instead of riding up and down with the difference signal, the stylus tries to cut a groove it can follow. Even if you can't see the fine trail of vinyl swarf, you might spot a difference in reflectivity of the record's surface ahead of and behind the stylus .....

In readiness for stereo records, later mono cartridges were made with better vertical compliance. Very occasionally a redesigned stylus would be all that was necessary, but usually a cartridge replacement was required. It was also possible to wire the two outputs of a stereo cartridge together to produce a mono signal, but this required four wires in the tonearm.

As a general rule, two-pin cartridges with a "flip-under" stylus (just the stylus cantilever turns one way up or the other, by means of a lever sticking out of the side, for microgroove or 78rpm records) are more likely to be stereo-friendly than cartridges that turn around completely to expose one or the other stylus, by means of a knob sticking out of the front -- but there are exceptions, so if in doubt, post pictures and ask. Four pins is always a sign of a stereo cartridge, of course.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 10:55 pm   #7
William275
Triode

All of my records are mono. Mostly 45 or 78s. I read the other day that if you touched the underneath of the tone arm and it made a louder hum the cartridge needed replacing. Not sure if it’s true or not. The function control knob looks as though it has teeth on it that locates onto another cog that turns the function control up or down both are plastic there is no resistance so it’s not seized. But I can’t get to see it properly without taking the whole chassis out and that’s something I haven’t done before . I’m wondering if the second cog has split and that’s why it’s not operating
Old 30th Dec 2019, 9:23 am   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

What you have to do is touch the wires which connect to the pickup, using an insulated screwdriver in the case of 'live chassis' sets. One wire, usually the red one, goes to the amplifier input, and a buzz should be heard when the terminal at the end of this wire is touched. If so, the amplifier is OK (or at least working!), and the cartridge is faulty
Old 30th Dec 2019, 9:41 am   #9
Station X

I agree that a buzz test will show that the amplifier is working, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the cartridge is faulty. You'd have to play a record to prove or disprove that.

The OP has said nothing about the functionality of his radiogram. Only that a selector switch is faulty and he's THINKING about replacing the cartridge. He doesn't say why.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 30th Dec 2019, 10:14 am   #10
William275
Triode

The radiogram is playing .ok but it’s hard to describe the sound. It’s not a warm sound. I was only thinking of replacing the cartridge as everybody says an original one is probably no good by now. This particular radiogram has had nothing at all done to it. Was in the same family from new

I have only had this particular radiogram since Friday but it seems to be playing a lot better as it’s been used.

Is it an easy job to take out the turntable it has a ua8 one fitted. And it is badly nicotine stained. As is the inside of the cabinet. I’d like to give it a good clean but a little nervous to start taking it appart

Everything is working and playing on the record player side. I have just played about 10 records with no problem, the sound isn’t as good as I thought it would be but very clear. I did hear the radio work when I first got it but after I turned the knob to gram it doesn’t go back to radio any more and just feels like there is no resistance when you turn it. No click as you turn it from gram to mw.or vhf or lw
Old 30th Dec 2019, 11:01 am   #11
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Graham, I put it that way, since the only thing between the pickup wires and the stylus is the cartridge, so, apart from the possibility of tarnished pins not making contact with the terminals, what else could cause no sound from the record?
Old 30th Dec 2019, 12:35 pm   #12
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by William275 View Post
Is it an easy job to take out the turntable it has a UA8 one fitted.
In this post I describe how to remove a deck. It's aimed at record players, but the principle is the same.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...4&postcount=19

Old 30th Dec 2019, 12:50 pm   #13
William275
Triode

Thank you for that graham
Old 30th Dec 2019, 6:44 pm   #14
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by William275 View Post

This particular radiogram has had nothing at all done to it. Was in the same family from new

Rather begs the question: "Are there any paper capacitors in there that haven't at least been been checked- particularly the grid coupling capacitor to the output valve?"
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Dec 2019, 8:24 pm   #15
William275
Triode

I’m afraid I don’t know anything technical about the electrics to do with record players or radiograms. That’s why I am hoping I can find someone near to me that I can pay to check it over . I also have two portable record players and one more radiogram. A bush srp31c. With Garrard deck. I had that restored 10 years ago. An hmv. Portable radiogram . And an early 50s. Gec. Radiogram with collaro. Deck. The deck is in perfect working order. Only things wrong with it is the function control knob is noisy when you first start using it every so often you have to turn it back and forth to stop it from being noisy. And also the tuning string has snapped.
Old 30th Dec 2019, 8:42 pm   #16
PaulR
Dekatron

I have bought NOS BSR and Ronette cartridges and have been disappointed in them. I think that they must lose compliance over the years. I have found a repro Ronette to be good but many others on here have not so I may have been lucky with mine.

You might do better to fit a modern flip over cart despite it not looking original but make sure you get one with a 78 rpm stylus and a mount.

Just a thought...
Old 30th Dec 2019, 8:47 pm   #17
William275
Triode

I think my bush record player has a ronnette one fitted. And that has the best sound out of all of them. For now I have just ordered a new stylus. I prefer the look of a radiogram but the small bush record player sounds far better

When I see the radiogram playing. With the dial lit up. It takes me straight back to being a young boy at my grandmothers house. Listening to music and being told I wasn’t to touch the radiogram only adults were to operate it
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 3:02 pm   #18
William275
Triode

Does anyone know where I might get a plastic cog that controls the radio and gram function on a Ferguson 387 RG Mine has split and the end has crumbled
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 3:02 pm   #19
William275
Triode

I have taken a picture but can’t seem to post it
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 3:22 pm   #20
Station X

Take a look at this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77650

Closed Thread