UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 14th Jan 2020, 4:50 pm   #1
ITAM805
Octode

Default Bill Beard 30 60

hi folks

I have a very quiet BB 30-60 2 channel valve amp. I'm looking for circuit diagram without success thus far?

Can anyone help

Thanks
ITAM805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2020, 9:52 pm   #2
greg_simons
Heptode

Default Re: Bill Beard 30 60

Hi
Had a quick trawl through the internet as well, only thing i can find is an email address, whether it still works is debatable, see below.
chris@beardaudio.com
worth a try at least.
Greg.
Or this
chrsfound@aol.com

Last edited by greg_simons; 14th Jan 2020 at 9:58 pm.
greg_simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2020, 11:19 pm   #3
Aub
Heptode

Someone on here, a few days ago, posted a link to ( I think ) the British Vintage Hi-Fi Association. I looked in there and remember seeing some Beard information among lots of other makers.

Maybe one of the mods can identify what I'm talking about?

Hope you find it.

Aub
Old 15th Jan 2020, 12:47 pm   #4
ITAM805
Octode

Thanks Greg, I have mailed the first contact and am awaiting a reply

Thanks Aub. Trawling through various forums it would seem the Beard company dont like giving out service data, but we live in hopes
Old 15th Jan 2020, 5:08 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAM805 View Post
dont like giving out service data
Isn't it ever the way in hifi, apart from a few honourable firms.

I wonder what the motivation is for preventing service data getting out?

1) They really believe they have something amazingly good and have to keep it secret to keep the competition off their tail. Looking at what has escaped from various secretive companies, I have to conclude they are mostly deluded about their own designs, they all looked fairly ordinary or obvious.

2) They don't want people to see that there isn't anything special in them, despite trumpeted claims from the marketing department... and then have those people question the pricing.

3) They don't want people to find whoopsies and schoolboy howlers in them.

4) They just don't fancy being in the middle of all the arguments which are inevitable with the release of any hifi product.

I've got to own up to number 4

Some of the good guys were very good indeed. Peter Walker did a write up on the Quad 405 for Wireless World at the time of its introduction, Circuit included.

David
Old 15th Jan 2020, 5:41 pm   #6
GrimJosef
Nonode

I'd add a couple more possibilities David

5) They might want to sell the information, rather than just give it away. I've come across a version of this where a company buys the right to be the manufacturer's recognised service agent. They're the only ones who are allowed access to the technical data, so they can recoup their expenditure by charging more than they'd be able to in a competitive market.

6) They genuinely want to prevent their equipment being serviced by incompetent people. If it is, and it's then sold on second-hand in a poorly performing and/or unreliable state, that will harm the manufacturer's reputation. I have to say that as well as coming across examples of kit that was badly designed in the first place, I have also come across stuff which once worked very well indeed but had been cut about by some bodger (not the owner, but someone who pretended to know what he was doing and charged for his 'services'). The results were very sad.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 15th Jan 2020, 5:51 pm   #7
vidjoman
Nonode

What is actually wrong with it? It appears to be 2 x separate mono amps in a box. There's only a slim chance that both amps are faulty so you should have one good one - take measurements from that and compare with the other channel.
vidjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2020, 6:16 pm   #8
ITAM805
Octode

Thanks guys

The @AOL address bounced back, no reply from the other thus far

Quote:
What is actually wrong with it?
Good question? The fault, one channel has little volume and this doesn't rise much as the control is increased then at about 1o/c the signal cuts off completely. Of course this isn't a nice straight forward circuit is it. I have so far discovered one of the two 6922 phase splitter anodes is being dragged down as the volume increases (it's not the valve), so I assume the grid/s are getting DC. But, there are pair of MJE340's somehow interconnected between the 2 phase splitters and I reckon it might be they although they diode test OK. So I'll replace them first and see what happens ...

Quote:
They might want to sell the information
GJ, I found a thread were the poster said they wanted a 100 for a diagram, cant say if it's true?
Old 18th Jan 2020, 3:07 pm   #9
ITAM805
Octode

Fixed, I replace the pair of MJE340's (which both test good out of circuit??)and the fault has gone.

I tried 3 different email addresses. 2 were bounced back and no reply from the other, so good luck if you have a Beard amp in for repair
Old 18th Jan 2020, 3:31 pm   #10
GrimJosef
Nonode

If you felt like tracing the circuit out and putting it on here it sounds like you might be doing a public service .

Cheers,

GJ