UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 12th Jan 2020, 6:42 pm   #1
CraniumJon
Diode

Question Help with Blaupunkt SQR 39

Hi experts - I'm looking for some help with a Blaupunkt SQR 39 which I want to install in a old Golf. Having tested it on the bench, it works well enough...except...I seem to have to re-enter the security code everytime the radio is turned on by the knob, despite the fact that it remains powered. I've powered both the ignition-switched and the continuous terminals shown the attached manual.

Additionally, the display is extremely dim, almost unreadable. I'm less worried about that than the code issue, but I mention it in case it is related.

Any ideas gratefully received
Attached Files
File Type: pdf blaupunkt_freiburg,melbourne_sqr-39.pdf (1.99 MB, 12 views)
CraniumJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2020, 7:15 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with Blaupunkt SQR 39

I'm not familiar with the specifics of your radio but do remember a similar 'issue' with an 80s car-radio which turned out to be because someone had crossed-over the wiring to the "always-powered" and the 'ignition-powered' feeds. There was a small diode between them which had been burned-out when the radio tried to draw sufficient power to deliver 20+20W of audio via the 'always-powered' line.

Also, the dim display sounds like you may have the 'display-dim' line wired permanently-live. It shoudd be connected to the headlamp-circuit so it only dims the display at night. If your Golf has that 1980s/90s horror of "daytime running" lights which lit the dip-beams weakly when the engine's running then this could perhaps be related?
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2020, 8:24 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

I'd also check that the two bulbs, B1014 &1015, illuminating the display haven't failed, though you could be right, G6.
'LIVEWIRE?' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2020, 4:52 pm   #4
CraniumJon
Diode

Thanks folks, I'll check both suggestions
CraniumJon is offline   Reply With Quote