UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2006, 5:47 pm   #1
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Early, badgeless, Hacker RP10.

I today got this Herald at a boot sale; it's an RP10 s/n 13757. No doubt it will be familiar to the resident Hacker expert(s) but it's one I've not seen before.

It is fitted with Ediswan transistors such as the PXA102 on the RF/IF board and the PXC171 at the o/p stage. The latter is marked on the o/p transistor heatsinks.

I would expect to find, on an RP10, that the rear panel is released by two sprung buttons on the underside. This one has a turnbuckle on its rear.

At first I assumed the 'Hacker' badge to be missing, but there is no sign of a badge ever having been fitted - either on the cabinet front or on the grille.

Can anyone comment on these features ? is this an odd/rare version or what ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	4661   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004S.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	4662   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	4663   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	4664  
Old 23rd Jul 2006, 6:58 pm   #2
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Odd (to me) Hacker Herald.

Hi Darren,
I think that you have an early version of the RP10. I have a couple with later serial numbers than yours (14456 is the earliest) and they are both very similar. The back with turn buckle is standard on this version and there is no vent. The later version added the vent to give better sound quality.

You will find that the audio stage is different. The early model has a separate unit on the base, it is included on the main pcb in the next version. In fact the electronics layout changed quite a bit.
Both mine have Hacker badges on the front (top left ). They have fixing pins so I don't think they could be lost without leaving a sign.

Regards
Old 23rd Jul 2006, 6:58 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hi Darren,

The solid back and the turnbuckle back fixing are common to all the early RP10s. I've just taken a look inside a couple of old ones here, and one, serial 14391, looks precisely as yours: the other, 3440, has a few differences on the amplifier board and chassis, most conspicuously the absence of the metal rectifier which was used in the battery economiser circuit that's missing from the earliest sets.

The only mystery, then, is the absence of the badge, which is normally fixed at a jaunty angle a little above the top left of the 'speaker grille...

Paul
Old 23rd Jul 2006, 7:34 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info

When I therefore get around to dealing with it, I will remove the innards and check inside for any signs of pinholes for a badge. Careful studying of the cabinet exterior, as I said originally, reveals no sign whatosever of a badge once being fitted.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 17th Sep 2007 at 9:51 pm. Reason: Shortened.
Old 26th Jul 2006, 11:34 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I today dismantled the RP10 and it clearly has never carried a Hacker badge. The cabinet covering is original ( identical match to another RP10 I own ) and has no perforations for badge pins. Inside the cabinet there are no holes either; I even scraped away small areas of the grey paint behind where the badge should be and ...... nothing.

The radio looks silly with no badge but I'm undecided about fitting one at present

Last edited by Darren-UK; 17th Sep 2007 at 5:41 pm. Reason: Shortened.
Old 27th Jul 2006, 12:07 am   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Curious: the absence can hardly have happened by accident. It's reminded me of a review in The Gramophone of the original Hacker Mayflower, where one of the reviewer's few criticisms of the set was the aesthetic one that the Hacker name was sufficiently displayed on the tuning dial and needn't be repeated on the attached metal badge. Could one of the Hackers have taken the remark to heart and ordered production of a badgeless Herald just to see what he thought of it?

Paul
Old 27th Jul 2006, 9:07 am   #7
Colin
Heptode

Hi Darren,

I have a Herald RP10 S/N13726 (cost 27s 6d) with Ediswan transistors. In fact it's identical to yours but it has a badge.

Strange as they're only 31 units apart ...

rgds
Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RP10.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	4711  
Old 27th Jul 2006, 11:54 am   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Well, someone must have wanted it that way, and there's a very good chance that it's unique in its badgelessness, which given that there's no great shortage of moderately careworn RP10s in circulation would probably suffice to persuade me to leave it that way. But that's just me

Paul
Old 27th Jul 2006, 3:48 pm   #9
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK
Well, someone must have wanted it that way, and there's a very good chance that it's unique in its badgelessness, which given that there's no great shortage of moderately careworn RP10s in circulation would probably suffice to persuade me to leave it that way. But that's just me

Paul
Yes I've decided that too - leave it badgeless. It's not as if there's two pin holes glaring at you or other marks where a badge once was. Interesting about the Mayflower and it gives this badgeless Herald a bit of credibility. Strange, however, that it's close s/n wise to Colins radio which has a badge.
Closed Thread