UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2004, 8:06 am   #1
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Oil contaminated switches.

I have recently been working on a Tektronix 535A oscilloscope, and found problems with the triggering circuits. The fault was eventually traced to leakage across a switch wafer.

On closer examination, the switch appeared to have been "cleaned" with something similar to WD40, which had left a large amount of oil on the paxolin wafer. Over time, this had attracted dust, and lead to a low resistance path across the paxolin.

As these are special to type switches, I decided to try cleaning. The wafers were removed from the shaft, washed with "Ultraclense" de-greaser, and scrubbed with a small tooth brush (the brush head from electric toothbrushes are ideal), then left to dry.

A quick test with the Megger showed the insulation restored, and the the paxolin restored from a dark gloss brown to its normal pale matt colour.

The contacts were lubricated with a little "Electrolube" from a pen type dispenser before re-assembly.

I don't know if this will always work, but you may want to try it as a last resort.

Jim.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 10:58 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 21st Aug 2004, 3:28 pm   #2
Norm_Leal
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Oil contaminated switches.

Hi Jim

I have a similar problem with a digital volt meter. Batteries leaked and got acid on the circuitry. Tried cleaning and drying but didn't get all conductive material out. Next I plan to use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Norm
Old 11th Feb 2006, 7:47 am   #3
Great Poohbah
Retired Dormant Member

Norm:
An ultrasonic cleaner may destroy any solid state devices you have.
Old 24th Mar 2006, 10:46 pm   #4
Zulu95
Retired Dormant Member

I remember the GPO Telephones putting out a tech bulletin advising the removal of silicone swith lubs/grease from issue because it was tracking into switch units and coating the contacts. It could creep a good distance! Once on the switch it would form insulating crystals if subjected to arcing. This was back in the days of Strowger exchanges.
Closed Thread