UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2018, 11:42 pm   #1
vhs doctor
Pentode

Default Panasonic VCR NV-L20 PSU goes on and off

Hi

I have a panasonic NV-L20. The VCR had leaky electrolytic capacitors in the secondary side of the PSU. I have replace all the electrolytic capacitors with new capacitors also i resoldered all the pcb. The VCR now have clock and power on but when the PSU works under load goes instantly off and on (ex when you select a function REW PLAY etc).

I have measure the fusible resistors and the are OK i have also replace the STK regulator but nothing changes. The fault seems to be created from the primary side. In the primary there is a zener D6 (orange-white-white) according to the manual the zener is MA4030.

Does anyone know the value of the zener or have any expirience in this specific fault?

Thank you
Old 24th Sep 2018, 3:14 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic VCR NV-L20 PSU goes on and off

I vaguely recall on the multivoltage version of one of this era of Pannys a small sub pcb in the PSU can with a low value electrolytic which dried out and gave exactly these symptoms. Hopefully someone else on here will have a better memory of it than me!
Old 24th Sep 2018, 7:43 pm   #3
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs doctor View Post
Does anyone know the value of the zener or have any expirience in this specific fault?
D1006 MA4030L is a 3 Volt Zener

Last edited by Red to black; 24th Sep 2018 at 7:51 pm. Reason: typo
Old 24th Sep 2018, 10:18 pm   #4
vhs doctor
Pentode

Thank you for your answers and for your help.
Old 27th Sep 2018, 11:01 am   #5
SteveCG
Nonode

Are the primary side electrolytics alright? In particular, are they soldered to the board properly? I had a computer psu which showed similar loading problems where there was crack around the soldered connections of both the two primary electrolytics.
Old 27th Sep 2018, 3:13 pm   #6
vhs doctor
Pentode

All capacitors was leaked in secondary side. I have already replace them with new ones. I have also resoldered the pcb.
Old 27th Sep 2018, 7:54 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Out of the blue. Is there a 1uf 450v on the primary side? This used to give a lot of trouble after a power break. John.
Old 27th Sep 2018, 8:00 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

They are fitted to most NatPan,s and they are fine till you turn the power off.

Sorry,I have doubled up!
Old 27th Sep 2018, 10:22 pm   #9
vhs doctor
Pentode

For everyone who have panasonic VCR with this specific power supply (VEP 01379 or smilar) and want to restore or operate them

This type of power supply (such as NV-L20/L25) you can find it in most panasonic NV-Jxx, NV-Lxx and on the early NV-SDxx (such as NV-SD30/40 etc) in the later models of sd series i think 1995 and then panasonic had change the psu unit.

The problem is created from the electrolytic capacitors especially in secondary side. The capacitors due to temperature and from years became leaky. You can notice a liquid "coating" on the components side. In some cases this luquid and the fumes of this create rust on the case of the PSU. The typical sympton is that the VCR is dead no clock. You can also have problem in capstan motor (usually lack of torque) or operation with no display.

One more problem (and the most serious for me in my opinion) is that the capacitor liquid is corrosive. It corrodes the other components such as resistors ceramic capacitors etc) and also destroy the protective coating of the PCB line. From green became black).

What to do in this case

1. Remove the PCB from his case
2. Take notes where each electrolytic capacitor located and his value. Desolder and remove all the electrolytic capacitors. It is useful to have the service manual.
3. Remove also the STK regulator and the SMPS tranformer ( be extremely care not to brake the ferrite core.
4. Clean very well both sides of the PCB with a flux remover or a PCB cleaner.
5. Replace all the electrolytic capacitors do not measure them. For the main capacitor "it has unusual values" in primary side (snap-in type) you can use the Rubycon QXW series you can find also and equivalents and from other companies.
6. Observe and check the other components in PCB ceramic capacitors, resistors, small diodes etc could be destroyed or corroted. The result is O/C or short circuit components replace them if you measure fault.
7. Install the new capacitors.
8. Resolder all the PCB.
9. Clean and the old and install new thermal paste on STK regulator
10.Clean very well the outer case and install the board.

In general do not store or operate these panasonic machines with faulty capacitors.

I hope in the future to make a complete quide with photos.

Last edited by vhs doctor; 27th Sep 2018 at 10:39 pm.
Old 30th Sep 2018, 6:36 am   #10
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Some Panasonic models with switching power supplies from the early-mid 80s had a serious problem where when the capacitors on the primary side dried up, the oscillator couldn't change the frequency and the output voltage just kept going higher and higher until the machine completely blew up, even though the optocoupler was lightning at full brightness. They fitted zener diodes in later machines to prevent that.
Closed Thread