UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2023, 4:20 pm   #1
RadioHist
Pentode

Default Philips bypass capacitors circa 1940 - specs?

Philips bypass capacitors circa 1940 - specs?

I'm writing an article about Philips first AC/DC receivers 203U, 204U, etc. I have a 204U presumably from 1941 that was exported to Sweden (has Swedish electrical safety certifications.) Definitely under German occupation and the scheme of the Verwalters to spy and control Dutch affairs.. Being here on the 'left side of the pond' I am at a decided disadvantage on pulling together interesting tidbits about their designs.
I see mentions that this model was 'tropicalized' for high moisture/temperature locations..... It has bypass and coupling capacitors encapsulated in a tar like compound. They have conical ends where the axial leads exit....

What I would like to find is any discussion or adverts about the advantages of their capacitor products being disseminated at the time... Any leads to such

Thanks,
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips cap.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	274273  
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 4:31 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips bypass capacitors circa 1940 - specs?

Those capacitors are known as "Tar-bombs" and are invariably as leaky as any similar-era "Waxie" type capacitor.

Certainly not 'tropicalised' or enhanced-reliability/quality in any way!
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 4:01 pm   #3
RadioHist
Pentode

I did finally think to try and post my question on the Dutch radio site Nederlands Forum over Oude Radio's. And got some excellent feedback. Yes, over time their capacitor design fails like most of the day. (circa 1940). But as one person says, that of certain continental makers of the day, the Philips parts
"Out of all paper capacitors, it's one of the least bad types. But they're now well past their 'sell by' date."

I think I now have enough technical information to proceed with that topic in my article about Philips' first AC/DC Philetta series receivers.

All the best,
Robert
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 8:43 pm   #4
peter_sol
Octode

All Philip's products up till the 70's used their own design of those so called " tar capacitors"
Old 4th Mar 2023, 4:56 pm   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

Except where they used mustard capacitors from the late 1950's on.
Closed Thread