UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2023, 8:34 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default ULN2003 audio amp.

I've got a bunch of ULN2003 ICs here, and thought I should use them 'experimentially' - meaning I would be happyb if a few of them were to be killed 'in the interests of Science!'

They're seven Darlington transistor-stages in a DIL package.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ULN2003A

With clamp-diodes to some putative common-ground.

I kludged-up a circuit which left the common-diode ground floating, and strapped the transistors in two-pairs-of-three parallel.

Then wired then resulant 'composite transistors' into a version of the classic transformer-driven/loaded Class-B-with-a-touch-of-base-bias-to-avoid-crossover-distortion circuit where we would have in the sixties used OC72 or OC81 transistors.

The results are impressive: I reckon to be getting a Watt or more when fed from 15V and it doesn't sound bad.

Has anyone else played with these? My next adventure will to be investigating if they work as RF amplifiers on 1.8MHz.
Old 18th Feb 2023, 9:22 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: ULN2003 audio amp.

I have no personal experience of them, but they would be great for many uses- more gain than you can throw a concrete slab at!