UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2023, 5:47 pm   #1
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Bridge rectifier specifications required

Mods not sure if this should be under components or help wanted, please move if needed, thanks.

I have 3 types of bridge rectifier and after trying my usual internet searches have drawn a blank re their specifications. The type numbers are; DS5N-L, DBB50C 2B and a 3J, the last is an obsolete Radiospares order code 260-200.

I want to use a couple in an adjustable power supply but don't want to have voltage/current problems if I use any of these bridges. Thanks.

Dave
Old 9th Feb 2023, 6:05 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Bridge rectifier specifications required

A quick search doesn't find anything, as you've already discovered.

Personally I wouldn't use poorly documented parts from the junk box for anything critical. Just buy 10 1N5408s on eBay.
Old 9th Feb 2023, 6:16 pm   #3
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

I found this data by Sanyo for the DBB50C:

https://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/-2543262874299336040
Old 9th Feb 2023, 6:45 pm   #4
G6ONEDave
Octode

Thanks for that datasheet on the DBB50C. An update for the 260-200, I've had a closer look and it is actually a BY260-200 and I now have the datasheet that shows 12a at 200piv. That just leaves the DS5N-L to identify, I'm guessing it's 5a but don't know the voltage.

The psu will be an adjustable dual tracking (+/-) output with a current rating of 3.6a max per output hence why I was looking at these bridge's. The tx secondary is 35-30-0-30-35 and I'm looking to use the 35v tappings which produce just under 50vdc across each main smoothing cap. The chosen bridge's will be fixed to metalwork to act as heatsinking. Still early days yet as I'm currently waiting for various items to arrive.

I hope to use the M5230L as the control chip along with a couple of driver transistors, although I will need to do something about the supplies to it as it has a +/-30v max. The output voltages are hopefully going to be adjustable from +/- 3v to 45v. This will come in handy for working with various audio amplifier repairs when a supply is not available.

Dave
Old 9th Feb 2023, 10:36 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

I have a small run of RS catalogues from 1974 on. Their bridge rectifiers are all in the 261-XXX series and there are no 260-XXX items, so 260-200 must be pre-1974.
Old 9th Feb 2023, 10:49 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

Is the 260-200 device constructed as a black epoxy polo on a circular aluminium base about the diameter of a current 10p piece with a centre hole of about M4 clearance, four close-spaced 0.25" tags? If so, it sounds as if it is indeed a BY260-200, rather than a mystery RS code.
Old 10th Feb 2023, 11:39 am   #7
Leon Crampin
Octode

Some early RS bridges were supplied by Lucas. I could probably help, given more data - a picture would be useful. The types supplied to RS were motorbike rectifiers; black, finned, blade connectors and a +ve stud. Good devices, mechanically too fragile. The chips were the best in the business.

Leon.
Old 10th Feb 2023, 11:39 am   #8
G6ONEDave
Octode

Top marks to Turretslug, yes the description is spot on, so not a mystery RS item as I previously thought. I think these BY260-200 devices will be fine for my application even though somewhat over rated current wise. They should give a long reliable service as they will be running at less than a third of their actual rating. As a bonus, I have 2 of them, so can achieve full wave rectification on both halves of the transformer secondaries.

I'll keep a printout of the specs for the DBB50C in my bridge rectifier box for future reference.

Thanks to everyone for the response to my thread, as always it's a big help. BTW not everything in my bridge rectifier box is secondhand, although some are.

Dave
Old 10th Feb 2023, 11:40 am   #9
G6ONEDave
Octode

Thanks Leon, our posts crossed. The mystery RS number has now been solved as not being RS.

Dave