UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2022, 3:36 pm   #1
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Default Dodgy NPN?

If an NPN transistor has the same voltage on all 3 legs does that mean it's a dud?
Cheers from Bill.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 3:45 pm   #2
markfff
Tetrode

Default Re: Dodgy NPN?

Sounds like it's shorted. What resistance do you measure between leads? Do you have it out of the circuit?

Last edited by markfff; 28th Jan 2022 at 4:15 pm.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 3:56 pm   #3
RogerEvans
Hexode

Almost certainly yes. You could imagine multiple failures in the surrounding circuitry that caused all three connections to be at the same voltage even with the transistor removed, but apart from damage such as a large solder splat or severe flashover I can't think of anything remotely likely. Remove the transistor and check for shorts between the wires and also between the pads on the PCB.

Roger
Old 28th Jan 2022, 4:05 pm   #4
Ambientnoise
Heptode

As previous replies say, probably faulty but you do need to measure with reasonable resolution. Assuming a silicon transistor, C to E could be about 0.2v whilst B to E could be 0.6v if the transistor is saturated on (and OK).
Old 28th Jan 2022, 5:16 pm   #5
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Hi guys, thanks for the help. The voltages were measured in circuit. I will do as you advise and test out of circuit for shorting of transistor or PCB.
Cheers from Bill.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 5:33 pm   #6

If it is "dead" short, say less than an ohm, you can leave it in circuit.

Old 28th Jan 2022, 6:17 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

How are you measuring it?

Is it Silicon or Germanium?

A lot of the generic component-testers tend to be inept when faced with the low forward-voltages associated with Germanium junctions.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 7:00 pm   #8
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Hi, it is a silicon NPN 2N3053 transistor, I believe. I am using a DMM. I get 30V on each leg whilst grounded to Chassis. I am going to remove it and test properly this evening. Should I only test out of circuit? I am more used to valve technology, but I am very willing to learn here.
Cheers from Bill.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 7:16 pm   #9
paulsherwin

As said in #6, if it's failed short circuit you should be able to establish this in circuit. Just measure the b-c and b-e resistance both ways round - the resistance should be markedly different depending on the polarity. If it's the same, and especially if it's very low, then the transistor is probably bad. Take it out to confirm.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 8:11 pm   #10
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Yup, in no way is this a keeper. Thanks so much guys.
Bill
Closed Thread