UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2023, 8:11 pm   #1
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Valve Base Jammed!

Hi All

I have a valve base - B7 I think, it takes the big old valves (e.g.VR109). Anyway this one is very much buried in the kit and not really removeable without major work! My problem is that two of the sockets won't let the valve pins slide in! I don't think that the sockets are filled with solder or that there is anything stuck down in the sockets.

My question is: Is this a common occurance and/or how is it cured? I don't want to jam the valve in, as you might have gathered my experience with valves is very limited!

Cheers
James
Old 8th Mar 2023, 8:22 pm   #2
Chrispy57
Hexode

Default Re: Valve Base Jammed!

Hi James - a bit of a dilemma there then! Did you remove a faulty valve from that base yourself, if so how did it feel coming out? Can you visualise the individual sockets, do those two you suspect actually look any different from the other 5 sockets? I would use a suitably sized Philips jeweller's screwdriver or solid wire, perhaps from a bit of Twin & Earth power cable, that just fits the "good" sockets to exercise the tight-pin sockets a few times prior to inserting an expensive, fragile valve.
Good luck
Chris
Old 8th Mar 2023, 8:46 pm   #3
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi Chris

The valves all came out possibly a year ago so I can't remember how tight they were. I'm hoping the valve is OK. I've tried the one that went in the socket in other sockets and it went in fine - so not the valve.

I have a set of those tools that are just a cylinder of metal with a handle (God, my memory!) A thin one goes in deep and one that fits the other good pins goes in to what feels like an obstruction.

I can't see down the hole really, so it might be an obstruction - or just a very tight socket. I am wondering if it only needs to be forced or drilled! Hence I wonder how others cure the problem before I go at it like a bloke!

Cheers
James
Old 8th Mar 2023, 9:16 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Sometimes valves with thin pins need a sort of jiggle to get all the pins to slip into the socket. Not too much pressure, just enough to get it done. Check the pins are not bent, if so carefully give them a gentle nudge to get them straight.
Old 8th Mar 2023, 9:21 pm   #5
Chrispy57
Hexode

Hi James - I wouldn't advocate "forcing" it, since there will probably be a soldered lead at the end rather than it being an empty tube. You could test the other sockets with your thin tool (a punch?) to see if it will go straight through or hits solder beyond the length of the valve pins. Will the "obstruction" come out if you turn the equipment upside down and tweak it with a fine wire?
If not then it sounds like drilling would be the better option, marking the drill to the depth of the valve pins as a guide.

Cheers
Chris
Old 8th Mar 2023, 9:44 pm   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Similar to Chris's suggestion. I am not an expert on such problems, however, if it were mine, I would find a drill bit that just fits inside a known single good tube socket when using it as a probe to full depth. Then use it cutting edge inwards to see if I could clear the blocked one. See what debris comes out.
The bit held in fingers whilst gently rotating it gives a "feel" of the obstruction. Do NOT use in a drill!
As suggested, mark the depth with some tape wrapped around the probing part to indicate maximum safe depth to penetrate.
Rob
Old 10th Mar 2023, 3:47 pm   #7
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the replies. In the end I had to go in with a mixture of hand held drill bits and files. There is a little flap on the end of these sockets which I removed to see inside without much success. I suspect that I had let solder get into the socket.......

Moderators you can close this thread now, thanks.

James
Closed Thread