UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2023, 12:02 am   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Paint markings on Mullard LP Module Transformer Cans?

Just a quickie one!

Does anybody know what significance the thin painted coloured lines that are on the top or side of the oscillator coil/I F.T. Cans have in Mullard LP–series I.F. modules?

Also, has anyone ever been able to replace the internal tuning capacitor in one of these cans?

I once had an LP Module in a Roberts that had had lost virtually all its sensitivity on LW/MW and it was obvious that one of the IFTs wouldn't tune!
Chris Williams
Old 8th Mar 2023, 9:54 am   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Paint markings on Mullard LP Module Transformer Cans?

The coloured lines on the IF transformers are detailed on the parts-list of my drawing of the LP1164 https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=30889
The parts list identifies each transformer by slug colour and painted lines and shows their position on the circuit board, if that is any help. Because some transformers are connected back-to-back some i/d is obviously necessary.

When I found a faulty transformer I used one from a scrap module with a broken pcb, rather than change the tuning capacitor.

Ron
Old 8th Mar 2023, 11:14 am   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Paint markings on Mullard LP Module Transformer Cans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post

Also, has anyone ever been able to replace the internal tuning capacitor in one of these cans?
Have you ever tried getting one apart? I had a go once and managed to get the can off but not without some damage to it. The internal capacitor is one of those little Suflex types and you'd be hard pushed to get anything else to fit....and you can't use ceramic. Probably easier to fit the capacitor externally although the danger there of course is if the internal capacitor is intermittent.....