UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2023, 11:53 am   #1
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Circuit conundrum...

Can anyone explain what's going on here please?

This is the output circuit of a wobbulator I made decades ago and works really well.

I had reason to do some checks and found the following odd results. At the base of the transistor there is about 15mV p-p, but at the emitter it rises to about 200 mV p-p. It's an emitter-follower with no gain so how can this be? I expect I put the 470k in series with the base to get the appropriate the output.

Experimenting today, I replaced the transistor with a FET with the same results.

How is gain possible using a emitter or source follower? Is it perhaps something to do with impedance matching? All voltages measured on a 'scope.

Thank you...

Attachment 273937
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230226_105448[1].jpg
Views:	157
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	273938  
Old 26th Feb 2023, 11:57 am   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Circuit conundrum...

'scope probe/cable loading?

Lawrence.
Old 26th Feb 2023, 12:06 pm   #3
trh01uk
Octode

I suspect its something to do with how you are making the measurements, which you haven't described. At the base, the source impedance is at the least the value of the series resistor, 470k as shown. Your scope probe/voltmeter probe/whatever will have at least a few pF of capacitance - and depending on the frequency that will be enough to load down the base circuit considerably, and give you a false "low" reading for voltage.

The emitter/source follower does its job admirably and lowers the source impedance to give you a "true" reading of the voltage.
Old 26th Feb 2023, 12:18 pm   #4
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Yes, possibly something to do with the scope/probe, although using a x20 probe and a Signent scope.
Old 26th Feb 2023, 12:49 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The FET circuit has come up in discussions on the Forum quite a number of times. It's been used in all kinds of published designs (I think the Haigue Wobbulator has something similar), but knowledgeable members using techniques like LT Spice say that a FET will exhibit negative resistance in such a circuit with consequent problems, though I freely admit that negative resistance is way above my pay-grade.

B
Old 26th Feb 2023, 4:34 pm   #6
Neutrino
Pentode

It is usually best to use 10x scope probes to minimise loading on the circuit compared to 1x scope probes.

If you have a dual channel scope check the base and emitter voltages simultaneously and see if the emitter voltage changes when you remove the scope probe from the base.

David
Old 26th Feb 2023, 5:15 pm   #7
Cruisin Marine
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
The FET circuit has come up in discussions on the Forum quite a number of times. It's been used in all kinds of published designs (I think the Haigue Wobbulator has something similar), but knowledgeable members using techniques like LT Spice say that a FET will exhibit negative resistance in such a circuit with consequent problems, though I freely admit that negative resistance is way above my pay-grade.

B
Negative (Oscillator) resistance is not as complex as you may imagine, this video explains it well and why for example the series resistor is changed to make aged crystal oscillators run in a stable way in many Transceivers.
This is well explained in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scc17Z8126c

Last edited by Cruisin Marine; 26th Feb 2023 at 5:32 pm.
Old 26th Feb 2023, 5:50 pm   #8
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Marine View Post
Negative (Oscillator) resistance is not as complex as you may imagine, this video explains it well and why for example the series resistor is changed to make aged crystal oscillators run in a stable way in many Transceivers.
This is well explained in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scc17Z8126c
Thanks for that. I watched that video, but then spotted this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDVYL0I1o_8 with it's reference to tunnel diodes and found that very useful.

However, I'm still not sure about what the implications of negative resistance in the FET source follower circuit are. I think that circuit is often proposed to create a high impedance buffer ahead of the following circuit (for example, in an RF probe). What are the issues that arise?

B
Old 26th Feb 2023, 6:11 pm   #9
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post
Yes, possibly something to do with the scope/probe, although using a x20 probe and a Signent scope.

I few quick sums confirm this. Since this is a wobbulator, its probably 455kHz (standard IF) frequency that you are measuring. A scope probe with a typical 10pF loading, will have a reactance of about 35k ohms at that frequency. When that is combined with the (minimum) 470k source impedance for the signal, we get a voltage divider effect of around 14:1. I think that explains what you observe.

A quick way to check is to move your scope probe to the point between the 10n coupling capacitor and the first 470k resistor. You will probably see something much closer to the 2V p-p that you note on the schematic.
Old 26th Feb 2023, 6:31 pm   #10
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Thanks for the responses chaps.

First my typo - yes it's X10 probe.

And yes 2v P-P between the input C and 470k.

So I think we've probably cracked it. The 460 kHz signal source Z is high, and even a x10/10pF probe will load it.

Seems all is well after all!

Thanks again.

Ian

Last edited by Ian - G4JQT; 26th Feb 2023 at 6:42 pm.
Old 26th Feb 2023, 7:47 pm   #11
Cruisin Marine
Octode

However, I'm still not sure about what the implications of negative resistance in the FET source follower circuit are. I think that circuit is often proposed to create a high impedance buffer ahead of the following circuit (for example, in an RF probe). What are the issues that arise?

Do they refer to the other definition of Negative resistance where if you increase the supply voltage the current drawn actually drops?
Old 26th Feb 2023, 8:21 pm   #12
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Marine View Post

Do they refer to the other definition of Negative resistance where if you increase the supply voltage the current drawn actually drops?
The references to previous discussions go back to a lengthy thread dating back to (maybe) 2017? It was focussed on how to build a sensitive RF millivoltmeter, initiated by the late and lamented 'Skywave' (Al). Reference to a number of circuits published in ham radio magazines noted that a common feature was the use of the FET source follower as a high impedance buffer. Various people had constructed such circuits, but found very poor outcomes.

I could try find the thread if you wanted to look at it.

B
Old 26th Feb 2023, 8:26 pm   #13
Cruisin Marine
Octode

Yes please, I missed it totally
Thanks
Old 27th Feb 2023, 12:55 pm   #14
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Here you go

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=131879

8 pages

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 27th Feb 2023 at 1:08 pm.
Old 27th Feb 2023, 1:50 pm   #15
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Actually, the above link is probably not the right thread.

As I recall, between 2016 and 2020, Al created 4 or 5 threads which centred around RF probes, RF Millivoltmeters and wideband low level RF amps. Even at the time, it was hard to recall what comments were in which threads, at least 2 of which were merged.

I think the discussion of negative resistance in FETs, and the LTSpice analysis was mainly lead by Jeremy (G0HZU_JMR).

There was a lot of really useful discussion in those threads. Al developed and posted a circuit with 3 or 4 transistors which he was pleased with as the basis for a RF millivoltmeter with a flat response up to ~150MHz.

Happy Days!

B