UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2023, 1:00 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: MR diode - half symbol

Similar to the symbol for a "Shockley diode":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shockley_diode

But I suspect that's a red herring!
Old 21st Feb 2023, 1:19 pm   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

All you could want to know about current diode symbols here: https://www.electricaltechnology.org...es-Symbols.png
Old 21st Feb 2023, 2:06 pm   #23
kalee20
Dekatron

Practical Wireless used the half-arrow, such as in this circuit diagram from Jan 1959 (the detector diode is germanium, the power rectifier selenium - no distinction in the symbol).

I use the half-arrow myself to this day...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PW Jan 1959.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	273671  
Old 21st Feb 2023, 2:51 pm   #24
ScottBouch
Octode

Here's an example from an RAF instrument trade training manual, AP3280B, Section 1, Chapter 5, from 1964.

This chapter on electronics uses the half arrow throughout.

But another similar training manual from 1970 uses the full arrow for diodes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3280B S1 Ch 5 Electronics (18).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	273673  
Old 21st Feb 2023, 6:30 pm   #25
pmmunro
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
All you could want to know about current diode symbols here: https://www.electricaltechnology.org...es-Symbols.png
There are some symbols here that I've never seen before, some of them quite imaginative. I think if I used some of those, I would put a note alongside on the circuit diagram.

The old BS 3939 was quite informative if honoured more in the breach than the observance, but then it was split into several parts and based on an advanced "modular" symbol concept which was probably very elegant in concept but challenging to use.

However the present pricing policy makes the use of British Standards somewhat academic for many people (even academic institutions which once held complete sets).

PMM
Old 21st Feb 2023, 6:41 pm   #26
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBouch View Post
Interesting to note they also are shown with the half symbol too!

Maybe it was an Air Ministry thing? Was the R4187 mady by Plessey, if so, maybe it was a Plessey thing?
No, the 4187 and its transmitter buddy [4188] and the rest of the V-bomber radio installation was made by STC [Standard Radio].

I suspect it was a Ministry of Defence thing, as the drawn block-diagrams/schematics/circuits all have the same style as EMERs and the like from the 'fifties, down to the letters/numbers along the sides by which components are located in the parts-list.
Old 21st Feb 2023, 7:17 pm   #27
ScottBouch
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
...the 4187 and its transmitter buddy [4188] and the rest of the V-bomber radio installation was made by STC [Standard Radio].
That's really interesting, I have just read up on those HF units.

I have the comms radios ARC-52 (UHF) used on the Vulcan B1/B1A, and PTR-175 (UHF and VHF) used on the B2. these radios would be used for air/air comms and air traffic control, airfields, tower, etc... but what would the HF radios be used for? To talk to ships maybe?

I believe the ARC-52 (UHF only) was a Collins design, but produced in the UK by Plessey, then was developed into the PTR-175 (UHF & VHF), and PTR-177 (UHF, VHF & Data Link [Link 4]).

The STC kit resembles in appearance of its features, the ILS kit also made by STC.

Cheers, Scott (digressing off topic)
Old 21st Feb 2023, 7:27 pm   #28
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBouch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
...the 4187 and its transmitter buddy [4188] and the rest of the V-bomber radio installation was made by STC [Standard Radio].
That's really interesting, I have just read up on those HF units.

I have the comms radios ARC-52 (UHF) used on the Vulcan B1/B1A, and PTR-175 (UHF and VHF) used on the B2. these radios would be used for air/air comms and air traffic control, airfields, tower, etc... but what would the HF radios be used for? To talk to ships maybe?

I believe the ARC-52 (UHF only) was a Collins design, but produced in the UK by Plessey, then was developed into the PTR-175 (UHF & VHF), and PTR-177 (UHF, VHF & Data Link [Link 4]).

The STC kit resembles in appearance of its features, the ILS kit also made by STC.

Cheers, Scott (digressing off topic)
The STC radios were used for long-range ground-to-air comms; only HF radio could get transcontinetal coverage [as needed if you were flying from the UK to bomb Moscow, or - as was the case in the 1980s - reach the Falklands]
Old 21st Feb 2023, 7:45 pm   #29
Cobaltblue

Can we get back on topic please.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 21st Feb 2023, 7:50 pm   #30
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Can we get back on topic please.
Sorry...
Old 21st Feb 2023, 11:22 pm   #31
m0cemdave
Octode

My copy of BS530:1948 "Graphical Symbols for Telecommunications" gives both symbols for rectifiers - the half arrow described as preferred and the full arrow as alternative.

A stuck-on addendum note (undated) states that the full arrow "should be used for designating a signal rectifier, where it is necessary to distinguish between signal rectifiers and others"

Supplement No.7 (1962) "Symbols for Semiconductor Devices" updates this to use the full arrow only.
Old 22nd Feb 2023, 11:14 am   #32
ScottBouch
Octode

Thumbs up Re: MR diode - half symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
My copy of BS530:1948 "Graphical Symbols for Telecommunications" gives both symbols for rectifiers - the half arrow described as preferred and the full arrow as alternative.

A stuck-on addendum note (undated) states that the full arrow "should be used for designating a signal rectifier, where it is necessary to distinguish between signal rectifiers and others"

Supplement No.7 (1962) "Symbols for Semiconductor Devices" updates this to use the full arrow only.
Good work!!! Problem solved!

Brilliant detectorist effort there, and lucky that you have copies of the standard!!!

Many thanks, Scott.