UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2023, 5:30 pm   #1
Ian Bailes
Triode

Default Philips 531A faulty coil

I am restoring a Philips 531A radio. I've got the radio working but due to an open circuit coil there is nothing on LW.
Question: I have located the faulty coil but is it possible/feasible to repair it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7407.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	273282  
Old 14th Feb 2023, 7:27 pm   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Philips 531A faulty coil

Someone may have a scrap chassis with a similar coil.

What is the code on the side of the transformer?

Is it the aerial coil or oscillator coil?

Sometimes the break/damage is near the terminal and can be repaired.
Old 15th Feb 2023, 11:02 am   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

You may be able to repair it ,I have just looked in the draw where I keep such things there are some but not that number , if you want to remove the coil straighten the crimped bit at the bottom then push the top at the same time pulling it from the bottom.as Silicon said the brake could be at the point where the wire is soldered to the tag ,good luck with it . Mick.
Old 18th Feb 2023, 3:34 pm   #4
Mach One
Heptode

I have a selection of these Philips RF coils which would have been rescued from one of the identical 310A-series chassis and the LW Aerial / IF Filter coil is the unique one of the three on the chassis which has only one of the two "slots" populated.

The service manual for the 531A set - which I have - says that the part number of S9/S26 is MK.564.27. The spare that I have says PHW 6427 062 on the side which is quite different from your one. I wonder if the numbers on the side can vary even if the part number is the same? Seems strange but...

If you would like this one that I have - I have had several of these sets and never had any that I knew had faulty coils - you are welcome to it?
Old 20th Feb 2023, 10:15 am   #5
Mach One
Heptode

Just checked my own 531A (serial number M23427); it has a coil for that position which has the number MK56499 0974. So, different - yet again.
Closed Thread