UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2023, 4:53 am   #1
dmowziz
Pentode

Default Noiseless feedback amplifier

Please, anyone heard from professor Jeremy?

Trying to measure the noise of this amplifier...

Another problem is that, expecting about 6dB gain but getting as the first image. (I want to model the inductor and 33 nF decoupling cap close to the potentiometer - not shown in image). Maybe the 'layout' is also a problem?

Also, the core. First time using this kind of coil with 2 holes. I used only 1 hole (1 turn is 1 pass through the hole.) Is this good?

Thanks for any contribution
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norton_Res.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	272334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norton_amp.png
Views:	172
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	272335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2055.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	272336  
Old 29th Jan 2023, 3:12 pm   #2
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: Transformer amplifier

Your twin-hole core looks like one of the EPCOS types: only the K1 material is suitable for VHF use. The RS page offers a download of a datasheet, which now shows the manufacturer as TDK, and says these are suitable for matching transformers and baluns up to about 250 MHz in antenna feeders or in input circuits of VHF and TV receivers

Your plot shows a big peak around 550MHz - could this be due to capacitive bypass of the transformer rather than inductive coupling?

It's good here
Old 29th Jan 2023, 3:47 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Transformer amplifier

A single turn on that core goes through one hole and back through the other.

Count the single turn winding this way, and also count the turns of the other windings the same way. Each there and back again counts as one turn.

Several other manufacturers also make that shape of core. Not all materials will work well in that frequency range.

2N3904 is a general purpose audio/low frequency transistor. It's fallen to just unity gain by about 300MHz IF you have it biassed at the optimum collector current. This is likely your biggest limitation.

These amplifiers are called 'noiseless feedback amplifiers' and follow on from patents by David Norton and more complex ones by Q-bit corporation. Chris Trask came along a bit later, popularised them in amateur circles and added a bit more to the subject matter.

I'll edit the title. As it is it sounds like an amplifier for amplifying transformers!

The noisless bit means that the proportioning of feedback to set the gain is done without using resistive potentiometers, but by transformer turns ratios.

David
Old 29th Jan 2023, 5:46 pm   #4
dmowziz
Pentode

Default Re: Noiseless feedback amplifier

Thanks Julian...The peak

At first, the amplifier was not working until I added a decoupling cap at Vcc... I tried earlier to model the through hole caps but was not getting a good result. I'll try again today.
Is there a way to model the 3 turns transformer? There's no visible capacitor around it. Just input and output coupling. With a decoupling cap at Vcc
The core is a BN-61-202. Sorry I did not state this.
https://toroids.info/BN-61-202.php

Thanks David, I'll readjust the turns. Thanks

I think the transistor is ok, because it is original and I'm simulating with the s2p from Jeremy.
Old 30th Jan 2023, 8:32 am   #5
dmowziz
Pentode

Thanks again David, yet to make the winding change. Doing it today

Please, do you have access to the "Applied Microwave and Wireless Magazine" ?
It is not online

Thanks
Old 30th Jan 2023, 3:36 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

No, I used to work for a firm which had a superb library and two librarians. There was an extensive collection of books, learned journals from many organisations and they took almost all the mainstream ones. Everything got archived. It was wonderful. I think it's nearly all in landfill now, or paper recycling.

So there wasn't much incentive for me to build a private collection. I've got a few useful books, but for the past 17 years I've been working off what I have in my head.

David
Old 31st Jan 2023, 10:09 am   #7
dmowziz
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
No, I used to work for a firm which had a superb library and two librarians. There was an extensive collection of books, learned journals from many organisations and they took almost all the mainstream ones. Everything got archived. It was wonderful. I think it's nearly all in landfill now, or paper recycling.

So there wasn't much incentive for me to build a private collection. I've got a few useful books, but for the past 17 years I've been working off what I have in my head.

David
I think, keep putting the brain to work so you don't lose what you've built up

Please someone, is there something wrong with this image? The winding direction/phase dot

Thanksss
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transformer.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	272465  
Old 31st Jan 2023, 12:31 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

It's a common base amplifier, and they don't invert.

You likely prefer negative feedback, so the transformer coupling needs to invert

Emitter goes to a dotted end, collector goes to a non-dotted end. Simple!

David
Old 31st Jan 2023, 6:11 pm   #9
dmowziz
Pentode

Yeah, thanks... Just realized it's exactly what I was doing on prototype but the dots on 1 and 3.
Sleepy eyes

Thank you
Closed Thread