UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2022, 11:27 am   #1
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Default Mystery so-called 3/16" plug/socket

I have a Nombrex RF SG and it is powered by a PP4 battery.

There is also a socket on the back which is quoted as suitable for a "standard 3/16" 2-pole concentric jack plug" in order to apply power in, and it has switching action to disconnect the battery.

However, it certainly is not 3/16"! It measures 3.8mm with a hole gauge.

It all looks highly original.

I tried a 4.4mm Neutrik plug but (a) it is too large (in spite of 3/16" being >4.75mm) and (b) way too long.

A 3.5mm modern plug enters, appears the right length, but is too small to actuate the switching. Given how loose it is, and the fact that it does not work, it doesn't seem as though Nombrex moved to 3.5mm but failed to update the literature.

Picture attached - ignore the fact that the plugs are stereo - this was just what I had to hand.

Anyone know what this mystery socket/plug arrangement is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9151D.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	250812  
Old 31st Jan 2022, 11:47 am   #2
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: Mystery so-called 3/16" plug/socket

I used to have one of these, way back in1963. It looks the same as mine was, & that used an original miniature two-pole jack plug.
The Radiospares ones fitted. The modern 3.5mm do not fit. Also the actual distances & size/shape of centre pin on the old type was slightly different.

David.
Old 31st Jan 2022, 11:50 am   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

I have one of these Nombrex units which I inherited from an Uncle thirty years ago and have never used

The socket is black, unlike yours but the dimensions appear similar. I measured a modern (RS) 3.5mm plug at 3.4 and it fails to operate the switch as you say but I found an older plug which measures 3.5 and while still loose ish it operates the switch and seems fairly secure. I`m not sure of the origin of this plug but the name Igranic seems to ring a bell.

Possibly not very useful from your point of view though.
Old 31st Jan 2022, 12:05 pm   #4
ronbryan
Octode

There is this thread on the Forum that illustrates a standard Bulgin 3/16" mono jack plug. It has a ball end, so maybe would be gripped better by your panel socket.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66094

Ron
Old 31st Jan 2022, 1:46 pm   #5
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan View Post
There is this thread on the Forum that illustrates a standard Bulgin 3/16" mono jack plug. It has a ball end, so maybe would be gripped better by your panel socket.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66094

Ron
Taken a look at that thread, but the plug shown circled is again too long and if anywhere near 3/16" too large a diameter.

The apparent depth of the one on the Nombrex is about 15mm - very much akin to the 3.5mm plug length.

A solution, assuming I retain the socket for originality, may be simply to bodge a larger 'ball end' using solder on a 3.5mm mono plug.

Thanks to all for the various suggestions.
Closed Thread