UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2022, 1:47 pm   #1
symon50
Diode

Default BC650 equivalent

Hi, I'm trying to track down a couple of BC650 transistors to build a small dipole preamp front a R. A. Penfold aerial projects book. Having recently retired I thought this would be a good start to get back into electronics, particularly radios. Can anybody recommend a good transistor equivalent book or 2. Google search doesn't throw up any supplies of the transistor apart from Cricklewood electronics but seems they have no stock. thanks
Old 20th Jan 2022, 2:53 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: BC650 equivalent

Historically, the default transistor-equivalents book was T.I.T.S. - Towers Internaltional Transistor Selector. Copies [there were several volumes] occur occasionally on the usual auction-sites.

BC650 is a fairly mundane transistor...

BC650=Vcb=30v vce=30v veb=6v Ic max=100ma P.TOT=625mw Ft Min=100m Hfe =400min

Something like a MPSA18 would work. Mouser-UK have them for 73p each,
Old 20th Jan 2022, 8:56 pm   #3
symon50
Diode

Thanks very much for the reply, appreciate it.
Old 21st Jan 2022, 2:20 am   #4
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I got a copy of TITS from the forum. If you ask in the 'wanted' section, someone might have one they can send you.

It's been useful to check whether transistors I have in my box are what I need, even if the circuit asks for something else! It seems lots and lots of these are basically interchangeable unless a very specific parameter is what the circuit's designed for.

Another resource I've used, especially for MOSFETs which my TITS doesn't cover, is https://alltransistors.com/

Search for the transistor number, choose the variant and at the bottom of the listed specifications you'll see "xyz transistor equivalent substitute". Clicking that will give you a long list of transistors that are close in various ways. More comprehensive but can be less convenient than a book. I find the TITS index of base types and pinouts to be invaluable as well.
Old 21st Jan 2022, 2:35 am   #5
symon50
Diode

Thanks
Old 21st Jan 2022, 5:57 pm   #6
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

In my Jaeger Elektronik databook it lists the commonly available BC550 as a suitable replacement for the BC650.

Regards,
Symon
Old 21st Jan 2022, 11:59 pm   #7
Steve_Bell
Hexode

My version of TITS (Update 4, from 1990) lists the BC650 but does not suggest any equivalents.
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 9:12 am   #8
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Here's a substantial list of equivalents - https://alltransistors.com/crsearch....=400&caps=TO92

Andy.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 12:27 pm   #9
dave cox
Nonode

It seems the 'alltransistors' site recommends a darlington substitute
I suppose it might work!!

I would guess, for an antenna preamp, the best option is something with high gain at HF and low noise, and it probably (?) doesn't need to dissipate a lot of power so maybe a 100mW device is enough - since a physically smaller device is likely to push the HF gain up.

dc
Old 28th Jan 2022, 2:45 pm   #10
paulsherwin

It seems to be a pretty bog standard transistor. I imagine the original designer used it simply because he had some to hand.

I would expect the usual BC548/2N3904 to work just as well.
Closed Thread