UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2013, 7:02 am   #21
Mikey405
Octode

Default Re: Rusty-Pye 2 - Son of Rusty-Pye

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. I've now brought everything back up to Solihull; I'll have a crack at some of it on Saturday and report back the results.

Thanks all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 26th Jul 2013, 11:12 am   #22
Focus Diode
Octode

Certainly restoration isn't impossible. It helps that the frame, decoder and CDA panels are roughly similar to versions used in later single standard models so spares shouldn't be a problem here. My main concern is the lack of X-Ray shield which houses the GY501 and PD500. If all else fails re getting a suitable replacement there's always tripler conversion to consider.

Many may recall Chas E Miller's tale about a GEC 2028 which had been abandoned in a shed when its LOPT failed, it got filled up to the brim with seed which attracted mice who "lived" in the set chewing cables galore not forgetting the mess they left behind. It was placed next to a working identical set where Chas' friend got to work. With much time and patience the set was restored to full health!

Good luck with the set. Looking forward to hearing more.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 26th Jul 2013, 9:10 pm   #23
Tazman1966
Nonode

Looking forward to the next installment Mike
Old 26th Jul 2013, 11:56 pm   #24
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
My main concern is the lack of X-Ray shield which houses the GY501 and PD500.
It wasn't uncommon to find missing screens, or rather not to find them
Old 27th Jul 2013, 9:25 am   #25
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Brian, Tas and AC/HL.

Don't worry - I'll not be using it without the screens Brian. If I can find a whole new or second-hand tower then I may take the cowards way out and just replace it completely.

And thanks Tas for the encouragement. I've washed the CDA panel and have started replacing any duff components. No idea where to get stand-offish valve holders though. I may have to replace them with standard ones.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 27th Jul 2013, 11:25 am   #26
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

There is just a chance that I might have some stand-ff valve holders.
Not sure, or if I have, where they are, but if I come across them, I'll let you know.
Old 27th Jul 2013, 3:52 pm   #27
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Don't forget to lower the values of the grid leaks on the CDA panel to save PCL 84's, Mike.

Dedication, eh?
Old 27th Jul 2013, 5:23 pm   #28
bobbyball
Octode

I've got a nice "solid state" CDA panel going spare if you like, no more pesky valves

Seriously, I might have the odd stand off one too if I can find them...
Old 27th Jul 2013, 5:34 pm   #29
Philips210
Nonode

This looks to be a really challenging and interesting project. I'd love to have a go at renovating one of these Pye D/S colour TVs. I did though, enjoy having had some experience with The Philips G6 and GEC 2028 D/S sets.

My main experience with the Pyes was with the S/S versions. The earliest being a 25" 691 chassis with fully hand wire line timebase unit which of course had a tripler rather than the GY501/PD500 eht valves. I much preferred the early Pye hybrids to the later versions with that horrible printed timebase board.
I must admit that the LOPT on the S/S sets that I handled all seemed to soldier on quite well and remember only replacing just one transformer. No doubt in the D/S version the 25kV eht over-winding is the main concern. I wonder how the Pye D/S LOPT compares to the other D/S makes for reliability.

Good luck with your set Mike.

Regards
Symon.
Old 29th Jul 2013, 6:32 pm   #30
Focus Diode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Don't forget to lower the values of the grid leaks on the CDA panel to save PCL 84's, Mike.
I second that Mike. Your advice to reduce the PCL84 grid leak resistors from 2M2 to 680K several years ago does considerably improve reliability. This also cured a fading red problem I had on a CT205 without having to replace the relevant valve with no further problems over a long period.

Brian
Closed Thread