UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2013, 9:24 pm   #1
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Sony KV-M14TU portable

Hi all,

I picked up this portable (must be 20 years old so vintage??) from the car boot on Sunday for the princely sum of £2. My intention is to use it with my collection of games consoles as I think it's a model or two before the one I used to have.

As with all my car boot finds I replaced the plug, fitted correct fuse and whipped the cover off before plugging it in. A quick blast with the airgun and paintbrush revealed a clean and tidy chassis. But (there's always a but!) the lopt caught my eye. There was some sort of gunk/adhesive on it (picture 1) and first though was it had maybe been arcing and been bodged up. Out it came and the glue removed. There's no visible damage underneath (picture 2), the only conclusion I have is it was there to stop the core vibrating.

I've cleaned it up and used some 2-part epoxy to re-secure the core and applied a bit over where the original adhesive was (picture 3). My question is will this work/be safe?? I'm waiting for it to set and then will pop it back together and try it pending any advice....

Cheers,

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	81995   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	81996   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	81997  
Old 16th Jul 2013, 9:33 pm   #2
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Sony KV-M14TU portable

"Bath sealant" type adhesive was often used to hold things down, often in the monitors I used to repair in a previous job many years ago. It won't be exactly the same as "bath sealant" I wouldn't think but very similar.

Quite likely on your transformer I would think...
Old 16th Jul 2013, 11:05 pm   #3
1955APREN
Hexode

Hi Kev
Sony lopts,s where very reliable I agree with the other thread should be ok to plug in and test. The only common faults on these set was dry joints inside the if unit causing low rf gain > Should not be a problem if you are feeding your game into the scart connector.
Regards Derrick

Last edited by 1955APREN; 16th Jul 2013 at 11:06 pm. Reason: typing error
Old 16th Jul 2013, 11:26 pm   #4
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Hi all,

Success!! Put the lopt back in and it powered up. Image was very dark, skewed and colour patches in the corners. I re-aligned the yoke and used the remote off my modern LCD to switch into AV mode. Once I'd figured out how to adjust the picture settings from the front controls it came up lovely

A couple of power cycles cleared the degaussing problem, thought I may have needed a thermistor but seems to have settled down now. Just need to find a remote (IIRC my old one had separate buttons for brightness, colour etc).

And here it is displaying my favourite game - Outrun (Japanese import version running via RGB scart on a modified Sega Saturn, but I do own it on most formats including the original upright arcade machine!)

Cheers,

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	82001  
Old 17th Jul 2013, 9:57 am   #5
bobbyball
Octode

Nice retro setup!

I remember "Outrun" years ago from when a friend had it on his Sega. They had a Decca "Bradford" set at the time with absolutely awful convergence. Never did master the game but ended up with the TV for spares!