UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2013, 10:00 pm   #1
hans
Heptode

Default Philips Krefeld factory does it still exist?

At the moment I'm in Germany, not far away from Krefeld. I had to search the net, but couldn't find any current information abut the old Philips factory. I asume it's closed, but when and what is happening there now?

According to this it must have been a Mayor plant: http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/phi...feld_1973.html

Were the Picture tubes also produced in the area?
Old 8th Jul 2013, 10:09 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips Krefeld factory does it still exist?

In the early eighties, TV production in Krefeld (KR) was "eingestellt" as they say in Germany. I think the E2 and K35 chassis were among the last produced there. The factory was converted to producing VCC and VHS recorders, competing internally with the Vienna factory. It was in operation at least until the early nineties. After that the German VHS activities were moved into an - apparently short lived - joint venture with Grundig located in Neurenberg (RJ). After that, I don't know of any activities in Krefeld allthough it is possible the factory was again switched to produce other goods. Chances are, it was closed down a long time ago (could be even 20 years, following the above timeline).

Some time in August, I will visit my uncle whose brother worked in Krefeld. Even though indirectly, I might be able to obtain some information or documentation. This could potentially take a long time as I'n not sure how often my uncle sees his brother.

Last edited by Maarten; 8th Jul 2013 at 10:17 pm.
Old 8th Jul 2013, 10:44 pm   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

Some searching learned that in 2010 the Philips factories in Krefeld-Linn (KR) were abandoned for some time already, and that development was imminent. See http://www.rp-online.de/niederrhein-...aende-1.711310 in which the 3 roads around the factory terrain are named and a picture is shown.

The approximate map coordinates of where I think the entrance to the (apparently still existing but in the mean time redeveloped) factory terrain would be, are: 51.336859, 6.635753

The picture tubes were produced in Aachen (VB). Picture tube activities ended in 2006 and again in 2008. Aachen (according to http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips_Deutschland in which Krefeld isn't mentioned at all) produced picture tubes until 2004 and glass until 2006.

Last edited by Maarten; 8th Jul 2013 at 11:04 pm.
Old 9th Jul 2013, 2:09 am   #4
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
The picture tubes were produced in Aachen (VB). Picture tube activities ended in 2006 and again in 2008. Aachen (according to http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips_Deutschland in which Krefeld isn't mentioned at all) produced picture tubes until 2004 and glass until 2006.
I read once that Philips was one of only four companies in the entire world which could make the special glass used in picture tubes.
Old 10th Jul 2013, 9:20 pm   #5
hans
Heptode

I went by the factory today. It is still there and seems to be just as when Philips left. Some of the buildings are in use by small businesses, but the signs say large parts are available for rent.

The older buildings aren't well maintained. The roof is patched and in one place a bush is growing on the roof.

The area arond the factory is a nice, well kept recidential area. It is just a matter of time before the older production halls are "redeveloped" into flats.

There ar few signs of this being a Philips plant. On one door I saw a sticker, see photo, which seems kind of recent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-10 17.02.02.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	81832   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-10 17.18.19.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	81833   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-10 17.10.44.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	81834   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-10 17.06.38.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	81835   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-10 17.19.38.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	81836  

Old 11th Jul 2013, 1:49 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Nice detective work, Hans!
Old 11th Jul 2013, 1:54 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Forgive my ignorance, but does the K (as in K35, K70 etc) denote Krefeld?
We can only guess at what went into the skips when they left - or, tantalisingly, what might still be inside!
As far as I know there's little left of the Croydon factory.
Glyn
Old 11th Jul 2013, 3:13 pm   #8
Jac
Heptode

Nope,

K is from "Kleur" (colour).

Jac
Old 11th Jul 2013, 3:46 pm   #9
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hi
We can only guess at what went into the skips when they left - or, tantalisingly, what might still be inside!
There is as far as I could see nothing left of the Philips stuff. I had a look through some windows of the parts of the buildigs that weren't occupied. It was completely empty. In the other parts there were businesses of many types. The plant seems only to be half utilized.

The administrator building and the newer part of the factory can have further life left, but the older production halls by the main road are as mentioned in bad shape, but are still being used to some degree. (Logistc sentre/storage?)

The plant was sold about 10 years ago but for some reason the owners haven't been able to fullfil their plans. Judging by the "for let" signs "redevelopment" is probably some years ahead.
Old 11th Jul 2013, 3:47 pm   #10
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac View Post
Nope,

I assume G is from "Great Britain"?
Old 11th Jul 2013, 3:49 pm   #11
hans
Heptode

Quote:
K70
This chassis was made in Sweeden, it was their version of the K7 that was made in Krefeld.
Old 11th Jul 2013, 8:50 pm   #12
Jac
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscuser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac View Post
Nope,

I assume G is from "Great Britain"?
Yes, and F for France in some (older) Philips type-number series.

Jac
Old 11th Jul 2013, 9:33 pm   #13
Maarten
Dekatron

To add or remove some confusion:

The letters in the chassis names don't have to ccorrespond to the letters in the model numbers. In case of the G for Great Britain and for example the GR for Global Range the letters are the same.

In the older system, the letters K and T were used to denote colour (K for Kleur) or monochrome (T for Television), while additional letters such as
A (Austria)
D (Germany)
G (Great Britain)
S (Sweden)
V (South Africa)
X (The Netherlands and Belgium)
indicated the country of commercial origin.

An overview of those letters can be found at Philipsfan's site.

Additionally, in front of the serial number, still other letters are used to denote the factory of origin. I mentioned those in brackets behind the factory locations in my last post. Some relevant letters combinations are:
A = Eindhoven
AG = Brugge
NF = Norrkoping
KR = Krefeld
RJ = Nuerenberg
VN = Szekesfehervar
WD = Wien
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans9001 View Post
Quote:
Hi
The administrator building and the newer part of the factory can have further life left, but the older production halls by the main road are as mentioned in bad shape, but are still being used to some degree. (Logistc sentre/storage?)

The plant was sold about 10 years ago but for some reason the owners haven't been able to fullfil their plans. Judging by the "for let" signs "redevelopment" is probably some years ahead.
I'm guessing the older production halls might have already been abandoned and converted to temporary storage (nowadays not for Philips anymore I guess?) in the early nineties when VHS production moved away, while other buildings remained in active Philips use until 10 years ago (but for what activities?)

Last edited by Maarten; 11th Jul 2013 at 9:48 pm.
Old 11th Jul 2013, 10:11 pm   #14
hans
Heptode

There was only the sticker on the door and three parking spaces still reserved for Philips that were the only sign of them ever being there. The administration building is used, probably among others, by a debt collecting company.
The other buildings were used by the Dekra academy, a company making hydraulic hoses, someone doing machine repair, The German Railway had some stickers on some windows and at the lot behind the factory it seemed to be stored some train weels. There were some other companys too. I felt I couldn't stay too long and snoop too much as someone might had believed I had bad intentions. I was there at about 5 pm and I only saw two persons there, and somoene taking photos and wandering about might cause interest.
Old 11th Jul 2013, 11:15 pm   #15
Sideband
Dekatron

Such a shame. When I worked for Philips in Croydon, we were always in contact with Krefeld regarding VCR's and modifications. When I think of all the expertise that was there....!

Rich
Old 12th Jul 2013, 8:29 am   #16
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

The following pages may help in the ID process (I'm always looking to update my site where new/revised data is available):

http://www.philipstv.org.uk/blog/ear...els-directory/

http://www.philipstv.org.uk/blog/ear...del-directory/

Cheers

Robert
Old 16th Jul 2013, 6:28 am   #17
German Dalek
Hexode

Hi,

If you are still in Germany please visit Aachen, not far away from Krefeld.
They just started to destroy the Philips CRT factory!

Best regards,

German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Old 16th Jul 2013, 11:25 pm   #18
hans
Heptode

What a shame. I think half of the sets I worked on had tubes from there. I was thinking of going there too but had to leave on Friday. On my way to/from Krefeld I saw sings to Aachen and wanted to go there but the traffic was horrible and I had an appointment later that day. I'm going back in some months but by then it probably is too late.
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 12:45 pm   #19
Maarten
Dekatron

If it's of any consolation: I visited Barcelona and wanted to take some pictures of (and possibly explore for any leftovers) the abandoned Tecnimagen (formerly Philips) site. Turns out I got it wrong (by about a block) and took pictures of the wrong building only to discover I did after I was already back home.

Anyone planning a visit to Barcelona?
Old 24th Jul 2013, 2:39 pm   #20
ben
Dekatron

I might be up there in Novermber or December.
Closed Thread