UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2013, 8:18 am   #1
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips Brazil

Hi Chaps

I have received some interesting material from a Philips Fan in Brazil. I have started a South American Sets section on my Philips Website:

http://www.philipstv.org.uk/blog/ear...razilian-sets/

Kind regards

Robert
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 11:25 am   #2
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: Philips Brazil

World wide eh?
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 3:13 pm   #3
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Hey Taz

You'll be surprised the contacts I have had from all continents!

I'm looking for ideas for further developments now in fact. Any suggestions anyone?

Regards

Robert
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 3:24 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

Very interesting chassis, the KL1. A schematic can be found at Elektrotanya. It seems to be a simplified and further developed version of the K7 chassis, also it seems to be a (mostly?) Dutch development, judging from the 3122 12NCs (Brasil design staff would have used 3106 12NCs). An earlier start of the Philips Global Range (avant la lettre even) than I had suspected, even though I had wondered before why there was a mention of NTSC on the silk screen of a K7 convergence board.

In later years, Brasil must have had some design staff but designs in the 1980's and 1990's were based on the Global Range of chassis of which only some GR1 and GR2 variants were intended for Europe.

It would be interesting to document their enitire history. It seems they were not included in the 2009 mexcian/north american deal with Funai, neither in the 2012 global deal with TPV. If that's correct, Brasil may be the last country producing Philips TV sets or it could be they are just relabeling imported products (It seems some of the last CRT sets in Brasil were made by Skyworth of China, but I don't know about LCD - it's possible they relied heavily on Singaporean designs, and Singapore was indeed included in the deal with TPV).

Also, it would be nice to have some pictures of the model number plates and the insides of the sets. Some details could hold interesting information.

Other developments of your site could be some expansion in the monochrome section, or more interesting some expansion and explanation in the derivatives section.

For example, some of the brands mentioned in there were -from some point in time- owned by Philips and the sets were fully produced by Philips in their Other Brands range. Dux and Pye for example.

Other brands used a Philips chassis ocassionaly, but designed and built their own sets. For example B&O used 2 or 3 heavily modified Philips chassis in the 1980's and 1990's (most notably in their MX1500, ME6000, LE6000 sets - the MX1500 might even have been built at Philips Monza, I'm not sure), but other sets were technically entirely unrelated to Philips developments and manufacture.

Last edited by Maarten; 23rd Jun 2013 at 3:53 pm.
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 3:37 pm   #5
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Maarten

Yes good idea, I had myself thought about developing the Philips Monochrome Sets section:

http://www.philipstv.org.uk/blog/ear...nochrome-sets/

Where to start though I wonder. All I have though atm is the colour brochure shots that Steve (Colourstar) kindly sent me for inclusion.

Does anyone else have any data from the period say 1965 to 1980? It would be excellent to add more original data from this period (circuits, images, reviews etc).

If you do have anything to share with others please pm me here or email me on the Philips site (see below).

Maybe a Philips Monochrome Sets model directory (for that period) would be a good starting point?

As always, full credit will be given to all contributors.

Kind regards

Robert
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 5:54 pm   #6
winston_1
Heptode

Brazil is unique in being the only country to use the PAL M colour standard so special sets would be needed for that country only.
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 7:30 pm   #7
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Winston

Thanks for that info. I have added a note to the section.

Thanks

Robert
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 10:30 pm   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

Please note that I was adding some information through the edit function to my previous message at the time you were already answering it.
Old 24th Jun 2013, 6:57 am   #9
Synchrodyne
Nonode

That Philips was active making and selling TV receivers in PAL-M territory, namely Brasil, makes me wonder if it also might have been active in any of the PAL-N countries, such as Argentina and Uruguay, whether before or after the advent of colour.

Cheers,
Old 24th Jun 2013, 8:18 am   #10
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Synchrodyne

Some good points. I have asked Luiz to feedback to us here.

Cheers

Robert
Old 25th Jun 2013, 8:00 am   #11
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Added info on 2 more rare Brazilian Philips colour TVs from the 70s:

Model number: R22K181
Chassis Type: KL-1
CRT: A66-122X 22 inch, delta 90°
Comments: Rotary 12 VHF channels selection, 127V or 220V version, 9 tubes, power consumption 220W, turn on/volume switch.

Model number: R22K183
Chassis Type: KL-1
CRT: A66-122X 22 inch, delta 90°
Comments: Push button 7 VHF channels selection, 127V or 220V version, 10 tubes, power consumption 220W, on/off switch.

Cheers

Robert
Old 26th Jul 2013, 6:38 am   #12
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Chaps

Luiz has sent more information regarding set using the KL-7 chassis:

Thanks

Robert
Old 26th Jul 2013, 12:49 pm   #13
hans
Heptode

The Remote for the KL7 sets look identical to the Remote used on the sets produced in Norkøping, Sweeden. After Reading about the Norkøping plant I got the impression this plant made the remotes for sets produced in other factories too.
Old 26th Jul 2013, 1:50 pm   #14
Maarten
Dekatron

I'm pretty sure remote control design and production was done mainly in Sweden and sometimes in Germany in the earlier years. Later it was moved to Leuven, Belgium and Ovar, Portugal.

This remote appears to be of Swedish design. To determine without a doubt where a remote control was designed and produced, the sticker on the inside of the battery compartment will mention 12NC codes and/or factory identification letters.

Last edited by Maarten; 26th Jul 2013 at 1:56 pm.
Old 27th Jul 2013, 5:39 am   #15
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Chaps

Luiz has sent through detailed technical data for the Kl-7 RC receiver and transmitters:

I have added it to the Brazilian section.

Thanks

Robert
Closed Thread