UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2014, 10:05 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Advice on reducing my accumulation of stuff

Hi,
I'm wondering if our learned forum members can suggest ways for me to reduce the stuff I've accumulated over the years. If I'd known about this forum before we left the UK, things would have been much easier.
One possibility is for me to beg, steal or borrow a van and bring it all over there and shift it at a few rallies, as I would rather talk to people face to face and let them pick through my boxes of bits. I'd prefer a UK rally as I think my stuff would be more relevant there than here in France.
Another idea is for someone who is planning a trip to France to take it back to dear old Blighty and flog it on my behalf.
I have quite a few old unmarked valves, Some high quality 'Muirhead' switches and other components, and boxes of old caps, knobs, 1930s components, etc., etc. Also I have a few radio sets that I will probably never get round to renovating, although most of them work. I realise I won't make much money (probably a loss) but I'd like to see this stuff go to a good home.
The components I can post, if need be, but valves and the radio sets need to be transported.
I've started photgraphing the stuff, but not sure how to list them in the 'offered' section. Five photos at a time, or just a list with photos via PM as and when asked for?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Pete
Old 12th Dec 2014, 10:10 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Advice on reducing my accumulation of stuff

Isn't there interest in some of this stuff in France? I know French radios attract lots of interest here because of their comparative rarity, so I'd expect the same to apply to British radios in France.
Old 13th Dec 2014, 12:25 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Might be a bit of a gamble Peter. I'm no authority on this but there does seem to be a lot of "stuff" available currently. It may be the economy. us collectors dying off, having to downsize for one reason or another [obviously the one before the other] or a decline in interest overall? Maybe it's just we the older deomographs [as illustrated by the Forum membership] all reaching the same conclusion at the same time. You are not at all the first to raise this issue at home or abroad.

It's very possible to go a Rally or Swap meet and not get rid of much. This is ok as long as you would be going anyway and treat it all lightly with no high expectation but I wouldn't want you to traipse all the way from France just to be disappointed. A friend of mine goes backwards and forwards with his trailer from my Rammy address to Britainy [not with Radios though] so I know a little of the work and effort this all involves.

On the other hand and ironically, this must be one of the better times to buy compared with even just a few years ago. BVWS auctiongoers seem to report very low prices. The hard working stalwarts who deal with this [Mike Barker et al] report almost more sets etc coming in than they can handle which is clearly good news for bidders at least. The last Golborne end of day BVWS clearance sale [no auction there] was worth sticking around for [see the thread].

Recent reports from Harpenden [see that thread] are of bargains to be had. I've never yet been to a major BVWS meet [ie ones that include an auction] but my son is in Edgware so Harpenden is now a possibility. Perhaps I can take a look for myself? I hope this helps you in some way but of course, don't take it as definitive-others will have their own perspective. There have even been extreme examples of people just dumping everything but that's more than a bridge too far for most of us here and might relate to other issues. I notice [by contrast] that most things sell well when they are free but that's a guaranteed attraction for most of us isn't it? I've found that giving things away can be a good option on a selective "going to a good home basis" but this is an individual thing I suppose
Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 13th Dec 2014 at 12:38 pm.
Old 13th Dec 2014, 3:37 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

Perhaps it's age related. For my own part, the things I was interested in (and couldn't afford) spanned a large part of the evolution of Radio/Electronics.
Today's entrants have seen much less innovation, possibly Cassettes, or transistor radios to CD or FM/Digital. Not so much of a contrast, and no romance. Now it has sharply swerved to IT, taking interest with it.
Closed Thread