UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2014, 4:55 pm   #21
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Radio Sussex MW Discontinued?

This is a timely reminder to us all to listen and appreciate all AM broadcasts whilst we can. If we live in the effected areas then we need to write and complain.
Old 20th Nov 2014, 5:02 pm   #22
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I'm pleased that 738 from Worcester isn't under current threat as it's my most reliable signal but until recently H&W had no DAB so this is always liable to change.

However, I'm afraid AM and MW has more or less had it - especially when it comes to lower powered transmissions. (Absolute, Radio 5 and R4LW boom in but I'm not far from Droitwich.)

I listen to RTE on 252, Radio Wales on 882 and H&W on 738 using my 1960s Philips portable but it takes some tenacity. A portable is the only viable means as so much rubbish comes up the mains from a neighbouring house to make listening other than in the middle of the night or morning impossible on a mains powered set. Even then I have to place the set well away from any mains wiring and low energy light bulbs. Mr average listener just isn't going to bother with this hassle or even figure out a solution and will just give up.

Ironically, the BBC local stations tend to have a listenership in the older age brackets and these listeners are more likely to have old sets.

The most logical solution would seem to turn of the Tx and see who notices. RTE's situation is unusual in that there is a considerable listenership outside of Ireland but with satellite and online available I can understand the savings to be made by turning off a 300kW Tx and directing the money elsewhere.

Arresting the tide of modern electronics that causes all this hash will be every bit as successful as Canute's attempts to halt the waves.
Old 20th Nov 2014, 5:25 pm   #23

I like looking at what is (going to be) on and setting the time to listen, for example, in 5 minutes there is a science programme on Radio 4, I made the point of being at home to listen.

Old 20th Nov 2014, 5:36 pm   #24
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I tend to find out about things after they've been broadcast - when someone says "Did you see/hear X?".

Downloads, podcasts etc. are like a wonderful (and free) combination of time-machine and tape-recorder.

To be honest I haven't done any serious listening to "live" broadcast radio since the end of 2002 when Bloomberg stopped the financial news on DAB.
Old 20th Nov 2014, 6:59 pm   #25
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
And so the quaint, avuncular and perhaps slightly patronising notion of 'Education, Entertainment and Information' that we were brought up on goes right out of the window, to be replaced with the modern paradox of 'choice'.

There are so many podcasts / 'narrowcasts' out there that instead of broadening the mind and letting the unfamiliar wash over them to be imparted subliminally, the listeners are comforted by what they know and are familiar with, and close inwards, shutting out everything else.
This absolutely true and a point worth emphasising. I remember having this conversation at work. An obvious example; should broadcasters make music programmes of a particular genre at a set time for a particular audience, or should music genres be ignored and music types mixed in the hope the audience says: "Oh, that's interesting music that I haven't heard before". This may be a strategy suitable for the BBC, but commercial networks need to make sure there is enough familiar content to keep an audience tuned in. Thus is selected the general bland music mix of many commercial stations.

The same is true to a lesser extent with speech-based programmes, although in general speech-radio programmes are themed: science, Woman's Hour, sport, gardening, comedy, etc. I may tune into science and gardening, but don't want the sport.

Maybe an analogy is books. Books are themed, so you get a book on a subject or by a writer you are interested in. Now the public is waking up to this via the internet, and like it or not they seem to appreciate the choice of 'programmes' containing what they want, when they want it.

Ian
Old 21st Nov 2014, 2:30 am   #26
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Perhaps BBC local stations such a Merseyside, H&W, and Bristol which use their AM frequencies to carry different sporting events may be safe. Coverage cannot be much of an argument any more as FM coverage matches or is better than AM. But it's down to however many listeners complain which will decide the fate of the BBC local radio AM network.
Old 21st Nov 2014, 11:34 am   #27
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
Perhaps BBC local stations such a Merseyside, H&W, and Bristol which use their AM frequencies to carry different sporting events may be safe.
BBC Radio Cumbria had no intention of closing their MF transmitters (one site of which is shared with BBC R4 on MF) back in October 2012, nor were they planning on going onto DAB.

But that was then; this is now...

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 21st Nov 2014, 11:42 am   #28
SteveCG
Nonode

For what it is worth: In the area I live there are quite a few hills that make FM reception a challenge (let alone DAB) when you are driving. MW is the only reliable signal.

When I heard the test close-down messages on H&W 738 kc/s some time ago I both complained to the BBC and also to my MP.
Old 21st Nov 2014, 11:53 am   #29
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post
Maybe an analogy is books. Books are themed, so you get a book on a subject or by a writer you are interested in. Now the public is waking up to this via the internet, and like it or not they seem to appreciate the choice of 'programmes' containing what they want, when they want it.
Another analogy is restaurants: I don't expect to be told "if you want chips with it you have to be here between 18:00 and 18:30 on a monday or friday because that's when we serve chips"; likewise if I want a lamb curry I don't go to a vegetarian restaurant.

One-size-fits-all broadcasting is a thing of the past: the days when there were 3 UK radio-stations and 2 TV stations are thankfully a thing of distant memory. Some of us just couldn't get enough of the 1960s pirate-radio stations as an alternative to "the light programme".

I will hook my AR88 up to the long-wire today and see what I can actually hear on Medium Wave.
Old 21st Nov 2014, 1:02 pm   #30
Nicklyons2
Octode

The situation maybe different elsewhere - I can only speak of the area which I frequent. In Barnsley hardly anyone I speak to has even heard of DAB or has any idea what it is, so I assume they haven't got a receiver for it. The few who have mostly claim it is rubbish - "only works upstairs in one bedroom" etc. As someone has pointed out above, few under 30s listen to the radio as such and, if they do they are as likely to 'stream' it to their phone. In my area at least I would strongly suggest that if the BBC wanted to shut down transmitters to which no-one is listening they could start with the DAB ones. Although A.M. broadcasting is not the force it was, particularly on a Saturday for the sport results the MW services are still popular here and many still use MW in the car where the lack of dynamic range helps audibility in the noise of the car.
Old 21st Nov 2014, 1:59 pm   #31
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
'Another analogy is restaurants: I don't expect to be told "if you want chips with it you have to be here between 18:00 and 18:30 on a monday or friday because that's when we serve chips...'
You obviously haven't eaten in the BBC Kirk o' Shotts canteen, then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
One-size-fits-all broadcasting is a thing of the past: the days when there were 3 UK radio-stations and 2 TV stations are thankfully a thing of distant memory.
Well, quite. The genie is out of the bottle and won't be put back. MF radio is going the way of the state-run telephone network, cheques, shops shut on Sundays, Watch With Mother, and steam trains. And short-wave broadcasting. I've said before that we are merely passing through the evolution of communications, where LF / MF for broadcasting will appear as no more than a blip on the timeline. It's nice to know it could be used if needed, but in the (relatively) stable and peaceful world we enjoy, it won't be.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 21st Nov 2014, 5:26 pm   #32
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Today I did a medium wave bandscan using my Hacker Hunter RP38 and Grundig Satellite 700 to see how many BBC local stations I could receive. It was quite an interesting exercise. I shall miss Radios Devon and Wiltshire Sound when they close down on AM.
Old 21st Nov 2014, 5:35 pm   #33
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Oops just realised R Devon's closing down trial only affects 1458Khz from Torbay which I cannot receive here in Bristol due to co channel with Sunrise from Brookmans Park and BBC Asian Sound from Birmingham.
Old 25th Nov 2014, 9:45 am   #34
Neil Purling
Nonode

It appeared 24/11/14 but BBC Radio Humberside (1485Khz) has got one of those recorded messages.
I hope that their switchboard has been jammed with complaints. I was well when I couldn't hear them!
I have a home brew TRF that usually spends a few hours a day tuned to them.
I bet you couldn't make a FM radio from a 6K7, a 6SL7 & a 6V6!
Old 25th Nov 2014, 10:03 am   #35
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It's a shame to learn of these MW switch offs but the way things are going, I am not surprised. If the BBC had continued transmitting programmes on MW and FM with a proven record and not spent millions pumping it into numerous trendy formats that nobody apparently listens too, they may have more listeners and saved a great deal of money. The jam is spread too thinly and you can't taste it anymore. John.
Old 25th Nov 2014, 6:01 pm   #36
Neil Purling
Nonode

This is what I had to say to the Beeb on the matter:
I am pretty hacked off with the decision of the BBC Mandarins to order the stoppage of the medium wave transmissions of Radio Humberside.
It is not just a local thing: It has been happening all over the country for well over a year now.
If the BBC want so save money may I suggest that they prune their layers of managers, starting with the clod-hopper that came up with the idea.
What people may not be aware of is that the MW signal achieves great coverage with less power up the aerial than FM, never mind with DAB. You can hear Burnsy as far away as Scarborough on 1485, even if he isn't having a shouty day.

Well as a result of their actions a good few people must have been jamming the station switchboard & filling their e-mail Inbox.

-------------------------------
Body of e-mail reply received 25/11/14
Thanks for taking the time to contact us, your comments will be forwarded to the BBC Trust as part of this evaluation exercise.

You won’t be surprised to hear that you are not the only person to have contacted us. Transmissions on our medium wave frequency will begin again by the afternoon on Friday 12th December. The BBC Trust will then evaluate the level of feedback before making decisions on the longer term future of our medium wave transmissions.
-----------------------------
Old 25th Nov 2014, 6:27 pm   #37
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklyons2 View Post
many still use MW in the car where the lack of dynamic range helps audibility in the noise of the car.
Good point and one I forgot.

I live in hilly terrain and have often used medium wave and LW for R4 as FM is frequently choppy.

I use the past tense because the modernish computer controlled receiver in my current rusty steed is stuck on Classic FM... (Actually, this is an improvement because for ages it would only tune continuously up and down the band. Thankfully it will still play a cassette...)
Old 25th Nov 2014, 7:58 pm   #38

Quote:
The BBC Trust will then evaluate the level of feedback before making decisions
Note, 'the level of feedback' not the content.

Old 25th Nov 2014, 8:38 pm   #39
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Just checked and found a recorded message advising people to retune to FM or DAB on both Wiltshire Sound's MW frequencies 1332Khz and 1368Khz.
Old 27th Nov 2014, 7:57 pm   #40
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

I had a check earlier to see if I could hear anything on the frequencies mentioned in this thread but without success, not surprising really given the distance but I used to receive stations from all over the place when I lived in my childhood home, including VHF radio from at least as far as Holme Moss!

I'll be writing to the BBC and will encourage friends to do so, despite there not having been an AM service for Radio Leicester for quite a while now. We do have a high power VHF service but it's nice to be able to listen to other stations. It's disappointing that there isn't much on the Medium or Short Wave bands these days.

Brian
Closed Thread