UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2014, 12:16 am   #41
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: Sad day. End of Gold Radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Bits! View Post
...Fear not Graham, I recorded the last half hour of Dean Martin's Request Show on the B side of a C90 just for the hell of it!...
I have the final two hours as MP3's if anyone wants them.
Old 25th Mar 2014, 1:09 am   #42
winston_1
Heptode

A worthwhile replacement is 2CH Sydney. Have a listen online and maybe feed it to a micro transmitter on 1170 its frequency there.
Old 25th Mar 2014, 9:48 am   #43
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

In an earler post 'Glowing Bits' mentioned R. Wales. There is a long-running show on there Sunday Mornings called 'A String of Pearls', which features music of the 30s & 40s. There's not much of that on the radio these days, either.
Old 25th Mar 2014, 9:57 am   #44
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I'm not impressed with Smooth Radio and I can't receive Gold on any of the medium wave frequencies it's retained.
I agree, this is not a station I would listen to, but at least there is still a station there for testing radios on the bench!
At least we still have Absolute radio, again not always to my taste, but better than nothing.

Mark
Old 25th Mar 2014, 3:38 pm   #45
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
I agree, this is not a station I would listen to, but at least there is still a station there for testing radios on the bench!
I'd second that, having this station on one end of the scale and Radio Wales at the other, it makes AF alignment easier than sig-gens.
Old 25th Mar 2014, 4:52 pm   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Bits! View Post
the future probably is low powered transmitters for in-house use, unfortunately
Indeed there is a dearth of listenable to MW radio stations, I can get 720kHz Radio 4 which is fine until dusk, as for the rest, nothing of note. For my 'local transmitter' I feed it with a car DAB adaptor, loads of good stations, it's not the same as tuning in a real one though but has the non brickwall filtering of modern stations, must sound like the old days.

Old 25th Mar 2014, 5:30 pm   #47
crackle
Rest in Peace

It is a shame that Gold has gone in Essex, I can only just pick up London, DAB stops and starts, and MW is weak and noisy and not good at night. Smooth is mind numbingly dull, who wants to sleep all day. All the local stuff like traffic news is to do with the north circular.

This internet Radio Station is not too bad if you send it to your AM radios and dont mind NZ ads, it plays quite a lot of vintage pop.
http://www.thecoast.net.nz/player/international/

Mike
Old 25th Mar 2014, 6:28 pm   #48
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Today I found that I can recieve Gold from London.
The problem is that it is on an AR88 which is far from portable!

Listening to Medium wave, there still appears to be plenty of European stations there.
Old 29th Mar 2014, 12:58 am   #49
hannahs radios
Hexode

Hi guys.

Holly and I will try that Australian station see what its like. Thanks for the tip I've also played some of my old tapes through the sig gen and they sound superb, especially the old Radio One tapes when they had a superb level of compresion on their audio. Makes us feel all warm and fuzzy although Holly's to young to remember real radio.

Cheers guys, Hannah and Holly.
Old 10th Apr 2014, 5:16 pm   #50
Keith_B
Tetrode

Gold also stopped in the Bristol area on AM & DAB. Replaced by Smooth Bristol. Only broadcast in a select few places. see here http://www.mygoldmusic.co.uk/Article.asp?id=486495
Shame as I enjoyed firing up my radios to listen.
Not a proper station now becoming internet only.

Keith
Old 10th Apr 2014, 7:08 pm   #51
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

2CH in Sydney has a fifties hour on Tuesday eveningsat 10.00PM (Their Time). I've listened to it once. Nothing particularly rare or unusual in the programme, just a good selection of tunes from the 'Golden Decade' by the likes of Pat Boone, Nat 'King' Cole, etc. plus some Rock'n'Roll.
Old 10th Apr 2014, 10:02 pm   #52
mark_in_manc
Octode

It's LW 252 kHz, not MW, so maybe a bit off-topic - but RTE radio 1 is excellent. - to my ears like good bits of BBC radio 2-5, mixed up.
Old 10th Apr 2014, 10:41 pm   #53
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I listen occasionally to RTE 1. I got tired of the gold stations a while ago - the same records again and again - cheaper and cheaper production. I think the radio landscape is dreadful and getting worse. I sometimes wonder about the sets I have under restoration - there is now so little that is worth listening to. All these AM frequencies are going to rot. I long for intelligent radio instead of the banal that is so prevelant and will/would happily listen on AM if it was available there.

On the other hand AM is having a revival chez moi. My neighbour must have got rid of whatever has been radiating a square wave down the mains for the last couple of years as I can listen to weaker AM stations day and night once more.
Old 12th Apr 2014, 9:27 am   #54
cmjones01
Nonode

Reading this thread, I got curious about what I could hear from here in Poland. I casually tuned around medium wave on the unreconstructed Bush TR130 (with its original AF117s!) that I often use to listen to the weak, but audible, signal from BBC Radio 4 Droitwich. At first I thought the wavechange switch was dirty, since I could only receive a few odd buzzes of interference and no actual stations. I made a mental note to clean it. But then I tried again at night and picked up all sorts of things, so the radio wasn't faulty.

Then I found this page:

http://www.mediumwave.de/

with a list of at least most of the MW stations in Europe, and discovered that there isn't a single medium wave broadcast in Poland! The only AM here is the first programme of Polish radio from Solec Kujawski on 225kHz.

So count yourselves lucky that there's anything at all to listen to!

Chris
Old 14th Dec 2014, 9:40 pm   #55
music-centre
Heptode

Hi,
I noticed on the Gold London 1548 Frequency today they are putting a message out that Gold would be on Digital TV Channel 923 from Monday, they mentioned that the Sky channel would be staying the same so does anybody know if this is going to be on Freeview? or is just a cable channel changing numbers? Would be quite good if it is to be on Freeview.
Regards,
Steve.
Old 14th Dec 2014, 9:56 pm   #56
paulsherwin

923 isn't a valid Freeview channel number. The radio stations are all in the low 700s. They could appear on another number but I'm unaware of any plans to do so.
Old 15th Dec 2014, 2:57 am   #57
hamid_1
Heptode

Since March 2014, most of the former Gold radio transmitters have been carrying Smooth Radio. Gold still broadcasts in London, Manchester and Nottingham on AM and DAB, and nationwide on Freesat, Sky and Virgin Media digital TV. You can also listen online at http://www.mygoldmusic.co.uk

Most of Gold's programming is now automated, with no DJs anymore except on the morning breakfast show and a bit at weekends.

The latest announcement said:

The channel number for Gold Radio is changing for Virgin Media cable TV customers.
The channel numbers for Gold on Freesat and Sky remain the same.

Freeview does not carry Gold Radio. It never has done, and there are no plans for Gold to broadcast on Freeview as far as I know.

Freeview and Freesat are two separate systems, each with a different selection of channels. People often get the two mixed up, though.
Old 15th Dec 2014, 2:30 pm   #58
WaveyDipole
Nonode

cmjones01, I have always wondered whether there were any stations in Poland on LW, MW and SW but so far have been unable to pick anything up from here in the UK. Your post maybe explains why!

I do like listening to golden oldies and Gold is one the few stations I have listened to. I believe that I had picked it up on my Eddystone about a few weeks ago (not played with it for a while and can't remember the exact frequency but about the 900-1000khz mark). I did get quite a bit of noise and fadeout, but I see from their website that they are still broadcasting in the East Midlands so maybe that explains it.
Old 17th Dec 2014, 1:49 pm   #59
PsychMan
Octode

I just about get a listenable Gold on 1548 in the car in Fleet, Hampshire. It does depend what area I'm in and it does range from listenable to atrocious though. This must be the edge of the London transmitter
Old 18th Dec 2014, 11:23 am   #60
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

WaveyDipole, I find that the medium wave band is rather barren in Leicester and signals which would otherwise be audible are probably masked by noise from the numerous electronic devices in the vicinity. One of few disadvantages of living in the inner city I suppose.

I'm planning on installing a flat ceiling in the loft so I may experiment with wires in the ceiling void for long, medium and short wave, I miss being able to tune in to all the nearby regional stations (and those beamed from Europe!) when I was a youngster living high up on the outskirts.

Brian
Closed Thread