UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2013, 6:38 am   #41
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: Philips Monochrome Sets

Sometime back I tripped across this site:

http://frank.pocnet.net/instruments/...R/TV_docs.html

which has schematics, etc., for quite a range of Philips European TV receivers. Many would predate the era of interest (post-1965), but some would be later than this.

Included are several Belgian multistandard models, some of which might go back to the start of Belgian TV in 1953. These show an interesting progression in their approach to sound IF in the VHF-only era, starting with a common split sound strip for FM as well as AM including a second conversion to 7.0 MHz, then moving to intercarrier on FM with a separate dual-frequency AM IF strip, then to a combined FM-AM IF strip operating at FM intercarrier and two AM frequencies. Also it would appear that even in the early models line-gated AGC was used with both positive and negative modulation systems. In the UHF era, System L was covered as well as Systems G and H.

Cheers,
Old 18th Jul 2013, 1:01 pm   #42
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Very intersting find. As you say many predate the period of interest for my site but still a very usefull resource.

Many thanks

Robert
Old 18th Jul 2013, 11:21 pm   #43
Restoration73
Nonode

Question regarding X12T740 (T4 chassis)

The set also marketed as Pye 99 use a TBA240 (I think) as a video demod/sync sep.
I tried to source this this chip around 1990 to no avail - even a chip supplier told me of his woes at not being able to assist with requests for this IC, including from Africa.

Seemed such a shame to write off a set that could work well.

I did later try a mod using Motorola MC1330 with limited success.

Thanks, Tony
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 12:48 pm   #44
Maarten
Dekatron

The predecessor to the TBA240 was the N161OM or 161OM for short (actually a pre-production designation but they were used in sets anyway). While it seems unlikely, there might be some stock left of those as brokers and buyers probably don't recognise that number. Also, when packed for service, the 4822-code was printed on the package. Equally unlikely, someone may have stocked them under that number.

Some small modifications might be needed to make the N161OM work.

Last edited by Maarten; 23rd Jul 2013 at 1:17 pm.
Closed Thread