UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2017, 6:10 pm   #61
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Triang Children's Record Player

The motor has 2 connections, to the 2 screws one on each side near the end away from the turntable. I suspect these are the brushes and that it's a permanent magnet motor. The connections end up on short wires with ferrite beads (hard, dark grey tubes) threaded on them. Try connecting a 9V battery between those 2 connections. If the motor is good it will turn (if it goes the wrong way, swap the battery connections over).

I suspect the motor could be repaired if faulty (these small, low-voltage motors are not hard to rewind by hand, other parts can be made), but it may be more work than you want (and expensive if you have to find somebody else to do it).

You also need to think why you are doing this. If it's to learn how it works, how to repair such things then great. You will do that. If it's becuase it's a family heirloom then again, great, but you want then to keep it as original as possible (meaning you would want to repair the existing amplifier, not replace it with a more modern one). If it's to play records, then there are many easier and cheaper ways to do that which will produce a better sound and be kinder to said records.
Old 18th Sep 2017, 6:21 pm   #62
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

With the images I posted, would you mind showing me which wires I would need to test with the 9V? Also, I am doing this project as a little bit of fun, and learning. Pretty much anything electronic fascinates me, despite me not knowing what half of it does hahah.
Old 18th Sep 2017, 6:27 pm   #63
TonyDuell
Dekatron

In 'picture 4' in your first post, the motor is the white thing in the middle of the shot. The 2 connections are the screw/tags on the sides at roughly '10 o'clock' and '4 o'clock' in that photo.
Old 18th Sep 2017, 6:30 pm   #64
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Okay, so I just need to de-solder that small wire? (the other one on the other side is already de-soldered) and then connect them to a 9v, seems easy enough.

Last edited by JacobTheFox; 18th Sep 2017 at 6:43 pm.
Old 18th Sep 2017, 6:56 pm   #65
camtechman
Nonode

Jacob,

I've enlarged the motor and its wiring. See pic below.

Also I've sent you a private message (PM) please read & reply via that PM facililty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Triang Childrens RP #2 - Copy.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	149629  
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 12:55 pm   #66
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

I now have the solder so I will be getting to work on the project tomorrow!
Old 28th Sep 2017, 9:41 am   #67
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Okay, sorry about the wait, I just got around the testing it with a 9V and I can confirm that the motor is working perfectly, any other tests I need to do?
Old 25th Oct 2017, 5:55 pm   #68
Radio_user
Retired Dormant Member

I have one of these which is working properly (apart from the cartridge, for which I have a suggestion for repair... !)

Are you still working on this ?

Do you need photos showing the wiring so that you can re-assemble, or have you already done that ?
Old 26th Oct 2017, 2:51 pm   #69
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Bump

I don't know if anybody even remembers this, but if any of the people who were helping me still remember would you mind telling me what tests to run next? I really want to get it working, it's just sitting around collecting dust right now.
Old 26th Oct 2017, 3:02 pm   #70
ms660
Dekatron

I've lost track, did you sort the pickup cartridge out? If not then that will be the biggest problem, no point in doing anything else 'till that's done....If it can be done that is.

Lawrence.
Old 26th Oct 2017, 4:55 pm   #71
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

No, I haven't sorted anything to do with cartridges out yet. Should I buy this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turntable...IAAOSwKt5ZlU4h
Old 26th Oct 2017, 5:07 pm   #72
ms660
Dekatron

That looks like one of the Chinese ones, I don't know anything about them to be honest but for a replacement cartridge for yours it needs to be able to fit in the headshell comfortably and be able to provide enough output to feed the amplifier, someone else might have some experience with that cartridge, see what turns up.

Lawrence.
Old 26th Oct 2017, 7:42 pm   #73
Audio1950
Dekatron

I have used lots of these cartridges, and found them to be very satisfactory. However for this particular record player, I think the output may be far too low. The other problem is that they come with no mounting bracket, so some method of fixing them into the arm has to be devised. Another consideration has to be whether the weight of the replacement cartridge will make the arm too heavy? I assume there is no provision for weight adjustment?
Old 26th Oct 2017, 7:44 pm   #74
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The amplifier in this is very basic and we don't know what gain this has. These Red carts are said to give about 170-200mV, but I have never measured one.
Old 26th Oct 2017, 8:29 pm   #75
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
The other problem is that they come with no mounting bracket, so some method of fixing them into the arm has to be devised.
I'd probably just glue it in if I could
Old 26th Oct 2017, 10:16 pm   #76
julie_m
Dekatron

The cartridges are cheap enough to be worth a bit of an experiment, though.

I measured one upthread, here.
Old 27th Oct 2017, 7:18 am   #77
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Alright, I'll buy myself one just as an experiment then.
Old 27th Oct 2017, 8:41 am   #78
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It will be interesting to see how this proceeds. If there is no, or poor, sound when tested, it may not be a question of the new cartridge having too low an output, but whether the amplifier is actually working - something we do not know as yet.
Old 27th Oct 2017, 9:22 am   #79
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobTheFox View Post
Alright, I'll buy myself one just as an experiment then.
I suggest that before you glue it into the arm, you connect it to the leads, turn on the amplifier and stroke the stylus to see whether you get sound from the speaker.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Oct 2017, 11:36 am   #80
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I dislike using glue for something like this. Please think of future repairers who may have to get the cartridge out again (it is not going to last for ever). I feel the only place for glue in repairs/modifcations is re-joining 2 broken parts that were originally one piece.

It's possible to cut a brass strip to fit on top of the cartridge. There's enough clearance inside over the stylus end for an M1.4 screw (like you find in those kits of watch/ spectacle screws) to go from inside the cartridge into a tapped hole in said brass strip. Another (M2) tapped hole in the strip over the depression on the top side of the cartridge can be used to take a screw to fix it to the arm.

The advantages of doing it that way are that the only modification to the arm is a single 2mm hole for the M2 screws. And the part of the cartridge that's modified is the top cover which is unlikely to fail. You could swap it with the top cover of a new, identical, cartridge if you had to replace the working bits
Closed Thread