UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2016, 3:52 pm   #1
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default The Simplest Things: Radio Test Jig

Nothing more than a hunk of wood with some holes in it, really, but this is incredibly useful. I knocked this up after a component lead went right in under my finger nail while turning a radio around in my hand and I almost dropped it.

Now, I can use the radio screws to secure it to the board, pop in a couple of screws to hold the amp and plug in the speaker wires to the little board you see. I can plug my headphones into the socket to prevent the Mrs from going insane while I align a radio, as well as connect my meter for peaking.

Nothing major, I know, but it may be useful to someone. At least now when there is a fair bit of work to do I can flip the whole thing around many times without ever tugging on any wires or dropping/damaging anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test_Jig_1.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	125487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test_Jig_2.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	125488  
Old 4th Jun 2016, 4:04 pm   #2

Default Re: The Simplest Things: Radio Test Jig

Quote:
after a component lead went right in under my finger nail
Ouch!!!

Yes, simple jigs made in a few minutes do save lots of time and injury. Because I make model planes too there is a lot of balsa wood, thin ply and super glue about, ideal for the quick jig. Even a little spacer stuck with double sided tape helps a lot.

Old 4th Jun 2016, 6:21 pm   #3
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Yep, hurt like hell. My daughter was almost doubled over and howling with laughter, of course, but there you go!

It definitely made me stop in my tracks and make something.
Old 4th Jun 2016, 8:09 pm   #4
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Nice job Jon. I like the headphone plug setup. I suppose you could also substitute a dummy load as well.

Graham
Old 4th Jun 2016, 9:07 pm   #5
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Indeed. I have two x 300 watt @ 8Ω and 4 x 2Ω dummy load wirewound resistors mounted to a board for amp work but it might be worth adding other values (3Ω & 5Ω, etc.) to the board for the various radios I'm working on, in case I want to clip a load to the wires on the little board there.

I normally have a cable in the headphone socket connected to a small mixer so I can watch YouTube videos as I work and still hear sig gen tones when I need to and this little setup makes the whole process more convenient now that I have it mounted on this board.
Old 5th Jun 2016, 10:21 pm   #6
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Very nice setup Jon. Plenty of YouTube videos in the pipeline to keep you entertained.

Graham
Old 7th Jun 2016, 8:54 am   #7
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Great stuff - nothing beats watching a few repair or restoration videos while I'm working on something.
Closed Thread