UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2016, 11:46 am   #1
Bobsound
Tetrode

Default Simon SP5 Deck

Reading Goodizzy's thread on the Shirley Labs amplifiers, I looked at the first url and saw a photo of the novel looking Simon SP5. Does anyone know who manufactured the deck? I think I have seen it on one other model of recorder but I can't remember which. It is vaguely similar to the deck used on the later Reflectograph recorders but it obvioiusly isn't the same deck. So can anyone provide any history/information of this deck?

Bob D
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 1:33 pm   #2
wd40addict
Octode

Default Re: Simon SP5 Deck

It's made by EMI and was even available with a plug in turntable that was driven by the capstan! It was also used in a larger EMI model whose name escapes me.

It's a pretty clunky affair and whilst I suspect Simon got it for a good price, it would've been a bit out of place in the quality market Simon were normally aiming for.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 2:07 pm   #3
wd40addict
Octode

The EMI machine was the HMV Voicemaster. I once had one in very poor condition.

Here's an internet picture of a similar unit. The picture doesn't quite capture how big this recorder is!

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewLot...6&Section=7992

Last edited by wd40addict; 22nd Mar 2016 at 2:14 pm.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 2:58 pm   #4
Bobsound
Tetrode

Thank you wd40 addict for your replies.

I remember seeing an SP5 in a dealer's window in the '60s when I was a teenager drooling over Ferrographs and the 'new' Reflectograph. The different appearance did not appeal to me. I suspect it was before its time since there were many professonal reel to reels in later years which put the controls and metering on bridges behind the deck. I did find the Reflectograph an attractive machine and preferred the look to the 'battleship' Ferrographs and was surprised that it did not do better.

At that age it was all academic though and I ended up with a Revox B77 bought in the mid seventies when I was earning a living and it's still going strong.

Bob D
Old 24th Mar 2016, 11:19 am   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

The 'EMI Disc Kit' which enabled the tape deck to drive the record player appears to have been available only on export orders and that UK machines were not wired up internally for such a kit. These were probably aimed to avoid punitive import tariffs on radio-grams, though to which markets these were aimed I know not.

Barry
Old 25th Mar 2016, 10:17 am   #6
Bobsound
Tetrode

Looking at the image of the Voicemaster recorder, I find it difficult to imagine how a turntable could be attached to the deck.

Bob D
Old 25th Mar 2016, 1:24 pm   #7
wd40addict
Octode

It slid onto the capstan. On the head cover moulding you could see the witness mark where a hole could be. As barry says I don't think this was ever offered on the home market.

In concept it's a bit like the wire recorders that could also play 78s.
Closed Thread