UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2015, 7:12 pm   #1
villelaustela
Pentode

Default Replacing the rec level pot on a Sony WM-D6C Walkman

Hi.

A friend of mine asked me to have a look on his Sony Walkman, a WM-D6C as the rec level potentiometer was "somehow loose".

I opened the deck and it appears that the rec level knob has taken a hit and the PCB holding the carbon track inside the pots have cracked (on both channels), see pictures attached. I don't think it a repair of glue and soldering would be reliable enough for real recording usage, also I can't figure out how to get the top-one PCB (in the pic) out.

The potentiometer has markings 446N, 027511 and 50KAX2 and is manufactured by Alps. The carbon track measures approx. 40 kOhm.

Can somebody here supply a spare original part, or recommend an easy replacement? Easy in the meaning of mounting to the original knob if possible.

The machine also has some mechanical problems with pause (releases capstan but keeps turning the forward reel!) and rewind (whirs but tape doesn't move). These seem to be easier and I have already had some progress in these (stiff lubricants and a loose arm in the pause mech. due to two loosened screws, loose inside!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7009.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	113735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7049.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	113736  
Old 27th Mar 2016, 10:23 pm   #2
duncanMKZ
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Replacing the rec level pot on a Sony WM-D6C Walkman

Did you ever solve this problem? I have the same recorder with the same damage. I suspect I probably caused it myself by trying to pull the knob off. (It doesn't pull off—removing it requires removing a black cover plate on the knob and removing a screw!) I suspect it will be hard to find the Sony version, but I wondered if it would be possible to disassemble the potentiometer and replace the broken parts.
Closed Thread