UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2016, 4:57 pm   #21
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Default Re: Duratool Desoldering Gun Filters

I have one of these. The tube is glass also. Good tip with replacement filters. I tend to order a couple bags from CPC when I order other bits (if i remember) but i may try the cotton pads before splashing out on a punch. I was wondering what fans have been fitted to these as mine drives me mad if it's on for long.

Graham
Old 16th Apr 2016, 10:49 am   #22
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Pwun View Post
I also replaced the fan for a silent one. That was the first thing I did.
Just wondering what fan you used as mine is a pain.

Thanks

Graham
Old 16th Apr 2016, 11:14 am   #23
McMurdo
Dekatron

It isn't so much the fan being noisy as more the fact it's operated off the wrong voltage so it screams like a hoover. There's a little plastic box under the cover containing resistors that attempt to drop the voltage for the fan. I omit the resistors and fit a 24V fan which gets about 18V, this works fine. I think mine came from Farnell.

The conical spring variety of gun are the earlier troublesome ones. The latest ones come with a straight, open-coil spring and are superior. The conical ones tend to solder themselves together and they're difficult to empty without a mini gas torch to reflow....a PITA when you're in the middle of an important job.
Old 16th Apr 2016, 2:37 pm   #24
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiocruncher View Post
Just wondering what fan you used as mine is a pain.
I'd say Kevin's is the better option - I hadn't realised that's how it was being powered. EOL in six months, no doubt! :/

I used a Scythe Mini Kaze 50mm fan (sleeve bearings) and it is barely audible now. It didn't cost a lot but it is a 12v fan, as was the original, so I'm not sure how long it will last if it's running faster than it should.

The (almost) silence is nice, though.

Jon.
Old 16th Apr 2016, 4:07 pm   #25
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Thanks for the advice Kevin and Jon. I will have a search about and see what I can find to replace it.

Cheers

Graham
Old 16th Apr 2016, 7:44 pm   #26
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Watch out for the nuts that sit in slots at either side under the front of the cover when you remove it, by the way. I have a wooden floor and one of them bounced and was gone forever. I had to dig out another to replace it.

I stuck a strip of kapton tape over the slots when I reassembled the unit so it couldn't happen again.
Old 15th May 2016, 12:23 am   #27
FrankB
Heptode

May I suggest using a piece of neon sign glass tubing to make the new tube out of?
It comes in many sizes, and they are about a meter long on the average. Likely your local neon shop tech might even give you a short bit, if you offer to buy him a pint.
Closed Thread