UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2016, 8:13 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Cleaning belt residue

When the drive belts have melted to a horrible goo on your tape recorder , try upvc window cleaner it works wonders , I found this out having tried WD40 turps meths soap and water switch cleaner , It works for me . Mick.
Old 9th Apr 2016, 8:53 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: cleaning belt residue

Thanks for the tip, Mick, another one to bear in mind!
Old 10th Apr 2016, 8:34 am   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Cleaning belt residue

A word of warning! this cleaner contains some nasty stuff and should only be used in a well ventilated area , also if cleaning plastic a test on a non conspicuous area is a good idea,having said that it works very well on metal pulleys left to soak for an hour or so. Mick.
Old 10th Apr 2016, 10:05 am   #4
Radiocruncher
Hexode

A great tip Mick. I had a Hitachi radio cassette player that the belt had gone to goo. I used sugar soap which was a last resort after trying all the usual things. This did shift it but the upvc cleaner seems like the way to go.

Graham
Old 10th Apr 2016, 5:28 pm   #5
ronbryan
Octode

Is the UPVC cleaner suggested by Vinrads solvent based or water based? The ones I have found with a Google search claim to have no solvents.

Ron
Old 10th Apr 2016, 6:59 pm   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi Ron the one I have here is made by Ever Build PVCu Solvent cleaner it contains methylpentan butoxethanol and naphtha nasty or what ! Mick.
Closed Thread